✅ Ultimate Guide to the new Sidebar redesign: Get your team prepared!

I think you misunderstood the nature of my post. I’m sympathetic. But based on past experience with Asana’s rollouts, there’s a likelihood this won’t get reversed, so I offered workarounds (not solutions) with quite a few disclaimers as a preface:

If you are forced to change, or in case you hadn’t already ruled out, I’ll offer workarounds that might not have been provided yet or specified in enough detail to be clear. But recognize I’m not trying to talk you out of your request, just to offer potential options to consider.

Larry

1 Like

I like the new design, but I would compromise and leave the teams with the original functionalities…

6 Likes

This new design update messes up our workflow.
We are organizing different client projects as different teams and used to have all our projects within the team.

Now what happens is that everything is just thrown under “projects” with duplicate names like “backlog” or “Sprint xy”

At least please show all projects under teams without hovering or clicking into the team.

7 Likes

I prefer this design compared to what we have now, provided Asana brings back the ability to manually SORT within each Team. With the older design and with Mavarsky’s proposed design, you’ve got everything in one place with a quick view of all Projects. No need for flyover menus to drill down into Teams and then clicking again to go into separate Project views.

2 Likes

Hoping to be let into the beta ASAP! I’m rolling out Asana to my org next month and really don’t want to have to remake any training materials or have my staff spend a month getting used to thigns being one way only for everything to change up suddenly.

Update: Oh wow, within an hour I got the new sidebar. Thanks Asana Team!

A few updates to the main post above:

This works, however, now you have a section that mixes multiple different Starred Asana objects (e.g.: projects, Saved Searches and who knows what else) with no ability to auto-sort them alphabetically x object type. Anything that gets starred just is added to the top of the list and one needs to spend even more time dragging it to its correct sequence location in the list.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the update was forced on our team this week.

3 Likes

I cannot believe I lived three months not seeing this post until today.
Well done @Richard_Sather on a comprehensive post.

I have been using the new sidebar for over a week and I love it personally. I am not longer hiding it all the time.

4 Likes

I cannot believe it either @Rashad_Issa :smiley:

Thanks, glad you found this post useful, as well as the new sidebar!

Talk soon mate

2 Likes

I can speak for my Division–we have 11 staff members and there are 14 Teams.

1. Just for me, as the Director
  2. Our entire division
  3. Our cross-department Outreach Team
  4. Our cross-department QA Team
  5. Our team for liaisons to other areas
  6. Our managers (3 people)
  7. Our education department
  8. Our cross-department Special Projects team
  9. Our technology department
  10. My projects with people outside my division
  11. Pan-institutional committee #1
  12. Pan-institutional committee #2
  13. Our user services team
  14. Our resources team

For most people, they’re seeing only seeing 2-4 Teams. I only see as many as I do because I’m in charge of our division.

3 Likes

Our team goes through all projects weekly and we find the flyouts feature is more cumbersome. Is it possible to just have a carrot to expand each team project within the sidebar like before the redesign? Thanks!

7 Likes

Hello, How do I go back to the original view? the new sidebar is not user friendly at all for us.

6 Likes

Hello Maria, did you find a solution? we’re going through the same thing!

4 Likes

Wow @Richard_Sather :clap::clap:

The Ultimate post for the Ultimate guide!

I’m sorry to see many people don’t approve the new sidebar… I understand when people are used to a way of working and all of a sudden that changes! :boom:

However, I see no misfunction to the new sidebar. We just need to go along with it, set things up according to our needs and adjust the new workflow using as less clicks as possible… and IT IS POSSIBLE! :sunglasses:

Thanks @Richard_Sather once again for this great useful post! :pray::sparkles:

totally agree,
I do a weekly review of all my projects, and this is the time to check the status of all slow and dormant ones, now with the new UI it’s very complicated to have access to this list and reorder as I want…

4 Likes

Hi Amanda, Unfortunately no. If enough of us are looking to get this feature back, I’m hoping it will roll out as an option :pray:t3:

5 Likes

Yes, this to me is the BIGGEST oversight of this redesign. It’s absolutely HORRIBLE to not be able to see all of the projects you’re added to easily. I have been onboarding and managing people in Asana for almost 10 years and my whole ethos of how I teach this platform needs to change, as one can no longer see the TEAM NAMES unless they are added to the full team. IMO, this roll out was a spit in the face of the very heirarchy that Asana designed. Horrible, horrible trash addition.

3 Likes

I 1000000% agree heather. I use teams liberally to organize my projects. I have almost all of the teams access, so that’s fine – but for folks who need to be added to only some projects on a team, this sidebar is a total nightmare.

3 Likes

I agree! Why change the teams view I think it was fine?!

2 Likes