UI change - Project tabs/buttons in tasks pushed down

Hi @louis

I do get your point.
But the assigned projects is one of the most import information on task for us, as almost all our main workflows make use of project status. So now after poping open a task I have to search for the assigned projects and its assigned status below the describtion, which has a different length for every task. I think that @Vince_Mustachio summarised it best. Projects and Status are important metadata and should be bundled together with the rest of the meta data.
I normally donā€™t get much feedback from the team regarding changes to Asana. But this time several of my team members asked how rollback that change.

12 Likes

Iā€™m curious Asana - What is your actual logic for moving projects, tags etc below the description?.. If it isnā€™t broken - donā€™t fix itā€¦

10 Likes

Hi Asana,

Yes, please roll back this change, itā€™s awful.

Or if this really is A/B Testing, please move me back to the ā€œnice UIā€ list.

I am not happy on the ā€œnaughty UIā€ list.

Thanks

6 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly. If you have a long description you have to scroll down to see what project it belongs under! This is the first thing I need to see. The project should be at the top.

I suspect they moved the tags to the menu because they will be getting rid of tags in the future. I donā€™t know this ā€¦ just something I have suspected from comments that have been made.

7 Likes

Seriously Asana. Please revert this soon or Iā€™m out of here. This is so bloody annoying. Seriously impeding my workflow everydayā€¦

6 Likes

Please! All a/b testing is overā€¦ Push project button to right place. Donā€™t torture me

4 Likes

I just hunted the product feedback board for any positive comments about the location of project and tag fields on a task. Not finding any.

I have attempted to get used to this change for 2 months, and have found it super frustrating. We use projects and tags all the time to help describe the task. Context is everything when choosing which task to address next, and when these two items are not in a consistent easy to find location, it simply wastes time. The variable size of the description box makes my eyes dart around the interface hunting for this vital information (description often written by others, so I have no control over its size!)

There are only two options for efficiency and effectiveness:

• Post projects and tags above description
  • Make description box consistent collapsed size with the option to expand

Real estate at the top could easily be created by moving the Access Control banner into the top bar as an icon - perhaps a padlock open/closed to denote private/shared task, it could still have the yellow/grey colour feedback and a neat hover text.
ā€œThis task is visible to its collaborators and members of ā€¦ Make Publicā€ is a piece of information I only really want to see when I look for it. Itā€™s useful, but it does not need to be verbosely present all the time!

Update. I just read @louis comment back on Apr 23. I love that you are addressing the needs of new users to Asana to encourage engagement, please also consider that within a month or two, they will want what the rest of us want! Also your note ā€œwe want to get to content as soon as possibleā€ Project and tags are content too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

12 Likes

Hi Amelia, I gave it a try a few months ago, when it was still called daPulse. The interface was very pretty, but organizing work was a real pain, with very basic possibilities. Far below Asanaā€¦

2 Likes

I totally agree too. @louis your detailed answer was great, and including data in decisions is obviously a good thing to do. However, since the project information and tags has been moved below, and as hard as I tried, I still canā€™t get used to it, for various reasons already explained here (essentially workflow, metadata being grouped and hierarchy of informations).

So I keep wondering how Asanaā€™s data are used for this particular change. It seems clear that task content is the most important space that we should access fast, because it describes what to do and it certainly is the most often modified task detail, but even if project information or tags are not modified a lot by users, comments here suggest that there are essential. Even though one user does not change it a lot, they may watch it a lotā€¦ And itā€™s small information so task description would keep being central and visible !

So please bring it above or let us set it ! :grinning: :pray:

11 Likes

+1 for moving Project info above description. This is horrible.

7 Likes

+1
Being able to see and assign task to the projects without having to scroll is essential! This change makes tasks created from emails unusable.
Having scrollable or/and collapsible description pane would also be very helpfull

7 Likes

+1 Putting projects below description is not an improvement. Waste of my teamā€™s time and +1 for bad idea to roll these type of updates out randomly in the middle of the work day.

6 Likes

Thanks! Thatā€™s in line with my impressions of it but I appreciate your more thorough insight. Iā€™ve been making board versions of project sprints in Asana for my visual-learning team members and that has been a decent workaround.

3 Likes

Agree. Almost all of my tasks come from email and every email I send includes a whole paragraph(!) of confidentiality text below it. This makes even the shortest emails knock the project label below the fold.

I canā€™t edit or remove the confidentiality text on my end. Itā€™s added by the administrator after I hit send to any email address that is not part of our organization, so all of my emails to Asana include it.

Between that and the sloppy way links and email addresses are duplicated by Asana, each emailed task requires significant clean-up before I can assign it to a project.

So Frustrating.

3 Likes

@Susanna @Tom_Bamford @Chris_Sylvester any anyone else using the CSS workarounds, I get weird errors on some tasks but not others.
Asana ate my projects, metadata and toolbars leaving me with just the useless privacy notice (ironic).
Anyone else having this problem?

1 Like

Iā€™ve noticed this happening once the task exceeds the height of my window, but I havenā€™t had the opportunity to explore a fix for it yet.

Hey guys, just fixed this in my user style:

3 Likes

@Amelia_Ciffone

Our team was having the same issue, and hereā€™s the code Iā€™m using that again is tribute to my colleague Gabriel Ramirez, with minor tweaks from me to get the order to flow the way I like.

CSS as follows:

.SingleTaskPane-body {
display: flex;
flex-direction: column;
}

.SingleTaskPaneToolbarEasyCompletion, .SingleTaskPaneToolbar, .MultiTaskPaneToolbar, .SingleTaskPanePlaceholder-toolbar {
order: 1;
display: block;
padding: 10px 30px;
text-align: right;
}

.SingleTaskPaneToolbarEasyCompletion-leftItems, .SingleTaskPaneToolbar-leftItems {
float: left;
}

.HeartButton.SingleTaskPaneToolbarEasyCompletion-button, .HeartButton.SingleTaskPaneToolbar-button {
display: inline-block;
}

.SingleTaskPaneBanners.SingleTaskPane-banners {
order: 2;
}

.TaskAncestry {
order: 3;
}

.SingleTaskTitleInput.SingleTaskPane-titleRow {
order: 4;