Today I Learned (TIL)

Hi @Brian_Titus

I can confirm that the changes you make in the sidebar are applied for everyone. I’ve taken advantage of this to tidy up our sidebar and implement some conventions. Check out this brilliant post by @Terri_Burden for an idea of how you might organise things:

2 Likes

TIL that it’s really important to assign tasks to the right people. Someone sheepishly asked me if I’d got around to proofreading something, which was due over a week ago. I tend to keep on top of everything, so I was a little embarrassed, until I noticed that the task had been assigned to my manager, who doesn’t yet use Asana very much (it’s going to be compulsory from 1 August).

I think some people in my team are still adjusting to assigning directly, rather than assigning to a manager who will then assign to a team member. I don’t know if they’re worried about stepping on someone else’s toes.

5 Likes

Tom, how exactly do you do this? I can’t seem to get it to work. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Matt_Tully! First, you select the task that you want to use. Then you either select ‘Tags’ or press TAB + T. Now, you just press the space bar once and then the backspace key once. You should now see a full list of all existing tags (only if you’ve added tags already). Let me know if it worked!

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I still can’t get it to work. When I press the space bar, what seems to be a partial list of tags appears (maybe recent tags?). However, when I hit the backspace button, the partial list disappears and nothing else shows up.

That’s weird. For me, the spacebar produces no list (It just gives me the option to create a new tag that’s called " "). The list only happens after the backspace. Not sure why it won’t happen for you :confused:

Very weird. I tried adding a tag to both an existing task (that already has tags) and a brand-new task (that doesn’t already have any tags)—still the same result.

There really does need to be some non-hacky way to review/edit all of the existing tags…

1 Like

Agree, would be great to have the task appear in Calendar view across the date range (like Basecamp allows for “events”).

Yeah, there definitely should be some sort of “Tag Manager” in the settings or the navigation bar!

1 Like

That you can hit the back key and delete a subsection. So helpful! :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

This already works for me.

1 Like

I just learned that you can manage tags just by clicking on one! I was looking for the ‘Manage tags’ option in the carrot drop-down, just like custom fields.

Now I’ve discovered that clicking on a tag doesn’t just show every task associated with it, it also allows you to rename, change the colour, delete and even email tasks directly to that tag!

I love these happy little discoveries.

5 Likes

That’s a great one, @Mark_Hudson. You can also favorite the tag to add it to your sidebar. This is something I’ve heard GTD experts do for tags they use for contexts.

1 Like

Ooh, I hadn’t thought of doing that. Thanks!

TIL that you can @mention things within progress updates. Marvellous!

1 Like

TIL that you can use a shortcut to see shortcuts! :thinking::star_struck:

We’ve merged our TIL weekly threads to one master thread! Keep those TILs coming :smile:

Looks like that has rolled out or is rolling out!