Timeline - Schedule Subtasks

As with everyone else on this thread, I’m very interested in better utilization of the Subtasks feature in Asana. would be good to have the “+” to make it evident when there are Subtask added to Tasks, and they NEED to be included on the Timeline feature.

6 Likes

We also have a strong need to be able to display subtasks in the timeline for making dependencies and timing apparent without cluttering up the list view for the master tasks.

6 Likes

New user (evaluator) here looking for a pm tool for 100+ employee company. I thought Asana was it, but the lack of this feature (and the poor workaround) is making the tool over complicated and adding confusion for my employees. This is a no-brainer no matter how many or few votes there are for this topic.

2 Likes

Yes, the lack of the this feature is making Timelines useless. What’s the point of making subtasks, when there is no way (or a hard way) of listing them anywhere. This is a huge downside and letdown… I’ve started using Instagantt as an addition to Asana and it works fine for me, but I don’t want to make everyone understand the whole new application in order to see the ganttchart and task hierarchy.

4 Likes

Agreed - what use is a Gantt chart that you can’t see the subtasks and it is way too much work to keep up with adding them all to the main project - plus it becomes confusing to the team.

5 Likes

Big time problem…! Timelines is useless without sub-tasks. Such a bummer as I was getting away from Instagantt…

3 Likes

I know it’s not a direct, out-of-the-box solution, but we’ve used Bridge24 in the past to connect Asana and you can build out a view like this. I think you can do the same with InstagGantt too.

1 Like

COMPLETELY AGREE HERE!

I recently started playing with timelines and I love the concept for timeline management and keeping up with client expectations BUT we utilize subtasks and a lot of them. So the timeline feature isn’t really as useful to us as we thought it could be.

I’m going to look into instagantt but I’d prefer to really keep everything in Asana if possible. Hopefully, this gets the attention it deserves and we see some changes to the system soon!

4 Likes

Asana falls short for me for not having the ability to automatically show/hide subtasks on the timeline or offer better reporting out-of-the-box. Having meetings where we have to screen share, and then go into each task to see the subtasks is not useful when talking to management or stakeholders. We need a quick way to show overall project status/timeline without having to click around and add to project all the time.

1 Like

+1 want to see the sub task in the timeline!

2 Likes

Yes! We need the option to see subtasks in the timeline view. I work in Marketing and nearly every task in every project has multiple subtasks. Subtasks is how we manage our approvals process for each piece of content, and we need to be able to see these things on a timeline view.

7 Likes

Does this feature have an ETA yet?

2 Likes

Hi - how many votes are needed before this is implemented? I just joined Asana today and definitely need the ability to view subtasks in the timeline.
Thanks

5 Likes

Need to be able to work with sub-tasks on both timeline and new resource planner.

5 Likes

Please continue to vote! The ability to consider subtasks for Timeline and Workload would be HUGE!!!

1 Like

How is this not a thing already? How many votes do we need to make this change?

1 Like

I too would really love to see this feature added. Provides so much more transparency to my team located in another city. If they were able to see at a glance what stage in a task I am at, by being able to view all at once what subtasks I have completely that would be ideal. I don’t find timeline very useful otherwise. It’s a tool we are unable to harness to improve our business at the moment.

Hello I am adding the subtasks as suggested to the overall task but my subtask name is too long so you cant see it. Is there a way to make it appear?

Timeline isn’t as useful without the ability to see Subtasks dated on the same project listing. Having to add subtasks twice is a mess. Enable the ability for subtasks to be a dropdown per project on Timeline so as to enable users to better understand how a single project could have multiple phases or separately dated tasks within it.

3 Likes

+1

This is a pretty important feature to have for a detailed and reportable timeline!

1 Like