Timeline Feedback

Timeline is great!

Note: I’m using the timeline feature for planning, but have moved everything else into Jira. Timeline will keep the Asana product in use with my teams - the timeline tool is MASSIVE in terms of project outlining before real data is available.

Suggestions:

• Please stop trying to save me space automagically
    • Arrows need to be visible to explain what is going on to stakeholders.
  • Add types of dependency - nice to include this - red areows aren’t quite enough - might need another graphical connector type.
    • FF, FS, SS, SF
  • Add more colors for tagging or some other system that can be used to differentiate workstreams/teams
  • Add a ‘decision point’ icon which can be moved about - have it be just like a task
    • Massively helpful when pointing out the actual work on a project, which sometimes needs heavy management input
  • UNDO HISTORY AS LIST
    • with each step being uniquely undo-able.

Also - get a confluence plug for this stuff - make sure that the timeline can show up in many places in confluence - its SO irritating to use the except tool/roadmap tool in confluence - sure it gets to job done, but its so inelegant and half the time it doesn’t even save properly.

1 Like

Can we ask them for ‘better than’ instagantt.

3 Likes

Click/drag dependency arrows would be nice too. Mavenlink has that and its a real timesaver.

Yes to the above suggestions, and also how about:

1. Show who the task is assigned to (with a profile pic perhaps, like in calendar view)
  2. Show/toggle subtasks with an expand button on the tasks
1 Like

Oh hah, I’m a bit stupid… I just realised if you have your zoom on 100% the assignee profile pics actually do show.

I’m also loving the new timeline feature! I concur with the majority of suggested developments. Like others here, key for me is the ability to export the timeline in PDF format, or alternative and better still, a nice output report with timeline and tasks (including task details / sub-tasks). I appreciate that one can print to PDF, but this means messing around removing the navigation bar gubbins. Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you so much to the team for this feature. As if, I couldn’t love Asana any more!

One major things that I’ve been on the hunt for is the ability to mark areas vertically. This really helps with planning across multiple departments / projects, so we don’t forget things like holidays or deadlines. See attached.

6 Likes

It would be helpful to have…

• Ability to select or hide people in timeline view
  • One timeline per team (combines multiple projects into one timeline to understand workload)
  • Timeline by person (would combine their tasks from separate project into a single view to understand workload)
  • Backup (save a version in case someone deletes everything)
  • Manage permissions of individual members (who can edit due dates, dependencies, and/or delete tasks)
  • View custom fields even when in My Tasks category
  • Sort simultaneously by a custom field and due date (due date available as header to click on)
  • BUG: when tasks get far enough apart, dependencies still show as arrows in timeline but are no longer listed in the task and thus become stuck in timeline view
4 Likes

Hi @Natasha1! If you don’t mind, I’m merging your post with Timeline Feedback - #12 by ceturley so all feedbacks are centralized. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really hope Asana developers can make an update on the Timeline. I understand it’s still new though. For me, the most important thing in the timeline is to view the subtasks, without having to re-add the project into the subtask only to see it in the timeline, because re-adding the project will duplicate it in the list view.

1 Like

Timeline is definitely great! I agree with all of the above.

I’d also love to be able to see a timeline of my OWN tasks (and my employee’s tasks) so that I can see what I am/they are working on simultaneously across multiple projects. I may want to prioritize one project over another and am unable to see what their dependencies are… with timeline, however, that could be possible!

And YES, YES, YES to holidays and planned vacations!!

2 Likes

From what I can tell, no one has brought this up yet, but if I missed a conversation feel free to direct me!

I’d love for timeline to appear less stacked vertically and better spread out horizontally. To scroll down and to the right simultaneously to view a project feels difficult. i.e., If the date range of one task is July 20-25 and another is August 20-25, it would be most helpful to me to see the later task on the same horizontal plane as the earlier task, so I can visually understand where one begins after the other ends. The timeline makes less sense to me when it spreads so far downward, because it’s more difficult to tell how near tasks are together.

Anyone else having this issue? On a related note, it would be great to be able to group or filter tasks in timeline view.

6 Likes

Hi,

One of the things that makes setting up projects so easy is Instagantt’s feature to duplicate a project based on a start date you set, so you get Instagantt to duplicate the project “master template” but start it on a specific date. I have been unable to do the same with timelines - if I’m missing a trick, please let me know.

Thanks,

Leila,

ps. the arrows are not clear also!

+1 for multiple projects on a timeline! :pray: begging for this function, otherwise timeline is useless for my team.

2 Likes

Hi Asana Team,
Timeline is a great addition to Asana! Thank for that.
One request for the future: I would like to be able to use time-line not only in projects, but also under “My Tasks”
I am using “My Tasks” to organize my tasks from various projects and it would be really helpful to be able to organize them with Timeline!!
Heiko

2 Likes

Multiple projects, would make some things easier, allthough it is already possible to put relevant tasks of several projects in a bundling project.

I rather would like to see a chance for public links to timelines, with limited view informations, ike in instagannt, as many clients would have live informations without the need to login to a tool, they don’t use.

Yes I have this issue too. I have tasks for today that are spread across a vast vertical space.
Why does this happen? Perhaps we need a button that will re-organise or condense tasks into a smaller vertical distance.

1 Like

Yes, very useful. I believe there is a separate thread of people requesting this - you may wish to Google for it.