Timeline Feedback

So first of all Timeline is amazing! So I hate to be the guy that comes in with criticism right off the bat, I already love this feature and have been using it literally since I opened the announcement feature.

A couple of things I would love to see:

• Ability to track multiple projects in one timeline
  • Drag-n-drop dependencies (I just realized you can do this, but would be cool if you could just drag instead of having to click int the task)
  • Export as PDF or image (we send Instagantt timelines to clients often, would love to be able to export these to email timelines)
  • Publicly shareable link to TImeline (of course we can invite customers to projects, but would be great if they didn;t have to log-in to see the Timeline)

Great work, love tis feature so much!

This is probably being considered, but in order to get multiple projects in a Timeline view, adding it to an advanced search would be pretty elegant.

3 Likes

@Alexis do you think we should have one separate thread per request? Thanks @Josh_Brown for the feedback!

1 Like

Exploring Asana Premium over Instagantt. Just barely diving in but being able to see multiple timelines is a huge plus in order to schedule out work across multiple projects and see where we have time to fit in new projects. Gets my vote!

3 Likes

Iā€™m assuming that as time goes along Timeline will get more like Instagantt and become more robust.

I agree seeing all projects in one timeline would be great. Currently, I have a separate ā€˜projectā€™ created where I create all my projects as a task. I then can input start/end dates to create a Gantt chart. It would be the bees knees if there was a way to link the projects to a separate group where they could be viewed side by side. My company just started using Asana yesterday. I have been using it for about a month or so. They were all really confused when I told them that in my ā€˜Roadmapā€™ project (where I created all my projects as a task) all the companies projects were not linked their respective project section. This comment could probably be a separate thread all-together. What do you think @Alexis?

I also think the ability to export a pdf or image would be great. One of my first thoughts when comparing it to Instagantt was, 'Ooh, I bet the exported charts will be nicer looking that Instangantt." I then realized that was not a function yet.

4 Likes

Timeline is great - we are currently trying to move our projects mapping onto that. Weā€™d like to have high-level items of individual projects (currently set up as Sections) pull together into a larger team roadmap of functionality. We can set start and end dates on sections, but canā€™t make section dependencies, and right now canā€™t leverage that on Timeline.

+1 for multiple projects on a timeline!
+1 for exporting to PDF!
+1 for sharable link to timeline only!

These three features would solve so many problems for us!

8 Likes

Timeline is great!

Note: Iā€™m using the timeline feature for planning, but have moved everything else into Jira. Timeline will keep the Asana product in use with my teams - the timeline tool is MASSIVE in terms of project outlining before real data is available.

Suggestions:

• Please stop trying to save me space automagically
    • Arrows need to be visible to explain what is going on to stakeholders.
  • Add types of dependency - nice to include this - red areows arenā€™t quite enough - might need another graphical connector type.
    • FF, FS, SS, SF
  • Add more colors for tagging or some other system that can be used to differentiate workstreams/teams
  • Add a ā€˜decision pointā€™ icon which can be moved about - have it be just like a task
    • Massively helpful when pointing out the actual work on a project, which sometimes needs heavy management input
  • UNDO HISTORY AS LIST
    • with each step being uniquely undo-able.

Also - get a confluence plug for this stuff - make sure that the timeline can show up in many places in confluence - its SO irritating to use the except tool/roadmap tool in confluence - sure it gets to job done, but its so inelegant and half the time it doesnā€™t even save properly.

1 Like

Can we ask them for ā€˜better thanā€™ instagantt.

3 Likes

Click/drag dependency arrows would be nice too. Mavenlink has that and its a real timesaver.

Yes to the above suggestions, and also how about:

1. Show who the task is assigned to (with a profile pic perhaps, like in calendar view)
  2. Show/toggle subtasks with an expand button on the tasks
1 Like

Oh hah, Iā€™m a bit stupidā€¦ I just realised if you have your zoom on 100% the assignee profile pics actually do show.

Iā€™m also loving the new timeline feature! I concur with the majority of suggested developments. Like others here, key for me is the ability to export the timeline in PDF format, or alternative and better still, a nice output report with timeline and tasks (including task details / sub-tasks). I appreciate that one can print to PDF, but this means messing around removing the navigation bar gubbins. Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you so much to the team for this feature. As if, I couldnā€™t love Asana any more!

One major things that Iā€™ve been on the hunt for is the ability to mark areas vertically. This really helps with planning across multiple departments / projects, so we donā€™t forget things like holidays or deadlines. See attached.

6 Likes

It would be helpful to haveā€¦

• Ability to select or hide people in timeline view
  • One timeline per team (combines multiple projects into one timeline to understand workload)
  • Timeline by person (would combine their tasks from separate project into a single view to understand workload)
  • Backup (save a version in case someone deletes everything)
  • Manage permissions of individual members (who can edit due dates, dependencies, and/or delete tasks)
  • View custom fields even when in My Tasks category
  • Sort simultaneously by a custom field and due date (due date available as header to click on)
  • BUG: when tasks get far enough apart, dependencies still show as arrows in timeline but are no longer listed in the task and thus become stuck in timeline view
4 Likes

Hi @Natasha1! If you donā€™t mind, Iā€™m merging your post with Timeline Feedback - #12 by ceturley so all feedbacks are centralized. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really hope Asana developers can make an update on the Timeline. I understand itā€™s still new though. For me, the most important thing in the timeline is to view the subtasks, without having to re-add the project into the subtask only to see it in the timeline, because re-adding the project will duplicate it in the list view.

1 Like

Timeline is definitely great! I agree with all of the above.

Iā€™d also love to be able to see a timeline of my OWN tasks (and my employeeā€™s tasks) so that I can see what I am/they are working on simultaneously across multiple projects. I may want to prioritize one project over another and am unable to see what their dependencies areā€¦ with timeline, however, that could be possible!

And YES, YES, YES to holidays and planned vacations!!

2 Likes

From what I can tell, no one has brought this up yet, but if I missed a conversation feel free to direct me!

Iā€™d love for timeline to appear less stacked vertically and better spread out horizontally. To scroll down and to the right simultaneously to view a project feels difficult. i.e., If the date range of one task is July 20-25 and another is August 20-25, it would be most helpful to me to see the later task on the same horizontal plane as the earlier task, so I can visually understand where one begins after the other ends. The timeline makes less sense to me when it spreads so far downward, because itā€™s more difficult to tell how near tasks are together.

Anyone else having this issue? On a related note, it would be great to be able to group or filter tasks in timeline view.

6 Likes

Hi,

One of the things that makes setting up projects so easy is Instaganttā€™s feature to duplicate a project based on a start date you set, so you get Instagantt to duplicate the project ā€œmaster templateā€ but start it on a specific date. I have been unable to do the same with timelines - if Iā€™m missing a trick, please let me know.

Thanks,

Leila,

ps. the arrows are not clear also!