The ability to lock subtasks

There are several ways we can use Asana tasks and subtasks.
Here is a use-case I have which I would like to have the feature available…

Before I start: I have the workaround for this feature, so please read this feedback with an open mind… I am not presenting a problem, but rather a nice-to-have feature.

Creating subtasks and locking them from any further edits except Completing them.

User-case:
In one of the projects I build and use regularly, is tracking the progress of a task which is usually over a period of a month (start-end date :white_check_mark:)

For the progress to be tracked, I have a series of subtasks, which usually are questions that need to have been fulfilled by the task owner, these are usually in chronological order.

Because they are questions, I do not expect the assignee to go into the subtask and answer them, but rather provide the update in the main task itself and mark the respective subtask complete.

While the norms are created and guidelines are shared, and people are trained, this is something easy to forget and people would go into the subtasks and answer them one by one… This means that if I am reviewing the task, I no longer have the comments in chronological order to view. I would need to enter one subtask at a time to review it.

What I would like to have:
The ability to create subtasks and lock them so users cannot click on the bubble and enter the subtask. All they need to do is complete.

Does that make sense? What does everyone think?

Of course, I have the workaround all of this, but was wondering if having the ability to lock a subtask from any edits or comments is appealing to some?

Happy to provide further clarification (and screen shots) if necessary… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Rashad_Issa, thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback!

While we don’t have any plans to implement locked subtasks at this time, hopefully it’s something our Product team can think about for the future!

I’ll let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Rebecca, yes totally understand! I just wondered if people every think of such user cases for subtasks :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Rebecca! This functionality would be most helpful to me as well. Any updates on implementing locked subtasks? Thank you!

1 Like

This would help our team as well. We use subtasks as placeholders in the calendar for additional project time and we refrain from putting any additional info inside the subtasks but sometimes people add info in them by accident. It would be great if subtasks could be locked so we dont have accidental data entries inside them.