Project Template assigned tasks show up in My Tasks automatically

Big yes to #2 here. Including template tasks in My Tasks brings in a huge amount of clutter for our team and defeats the purpose of having templates in our case. Template tasks should be completely hidden from My Tasks.

12 Likes

Similar topic in post Project Template assigned tasks show up in My Tasks automatically. There is a link in that post to upvote this request. Letā€™s hope that it garners attention.

4 Likes

Can Asana comment on the status of this enhancement request?

2 Likes

@Asana Would it be possible to hide Custom Project Template Tasks from My Tasks? The Custom Project Template Tasks are not actionable and therefore it is a bug to have them in My Tasks.

A response in this thread to let your users know you are listening would be greatly appreciated.

6 Likes

Disappointed to see we are coming up on a year and still no acknowledgement from Asana that this is, at the very least, poor design.

A template is a template to make active projects easily. It is not an active project, nor should it appear in tasks as an active project. Iā€™m new to Asana, and there are reasons I chose it over wrike/teamwork but some of these core functions make it really difficult to use. Weā€™re hoping things like this get added soon but are concerned since there is no product roadmap and this request is about a year old.

2 Likes

+1000!

Having templates ready with the assignments would save a lot of time for projects with the same structure. Them showing up in ā€œMy Tasksā€ defeats this. :frowning:

@Alexis, any word from the Asana team on this issue? Everyone here has been making very good points concerning the way templates behave in Asana.

how does one upvote this? +1, desperately needed feature.

1 Like

Itā€™s doubly frustrating when you have some of those tasks also in other projects! I am not pre-assigning the tasks due to this unfortunate oversight, but I want my Templateā€™s tasks to include all the other projects and tags that need to be associated with it.

Man, I thought I was totally crazy or I messed something up. Iā€™m glad itā€™s not just me, but Iā€™m pretty disappointed that this is an issue - it really should show template tasks for inactive projects, thatā€™s so clunky and cluttered!

Giving this a bump. This is a real problem for my team and is hampering Asana adoption and usage.
It looks like Project Template assigned tasks show up in My Tasks automatically - #49 by BrettInSeattle is very similar. Could we get them combined and have the votes added together? Currently 47 votes here and 35 votes on the other item.

3 Likes

We are also having issues with assignments in templates showing up in userā€™s tasks lists. We have a couple of templates for common tasks (such as employee on-boarding) where the assignee would always be the same, so weā€™d like to be able to clone those templates when a new instance of that type of project arises with assignees intact without the assignment for that template cluttering peopleā€™s task lists.

DITTO. Template assignments should not show up in a userā€™s assigned task list until teh template is turned into a live project.

3 Likes

Same here. Every time I make peace with the limitations of the current implementation of ā€œTemplatesā€ I run into a new problem. I feel like templates were just too hacked together. Please separate tasks from projects. There are way too many workarounds for them.

• Have to create a project to make a template. I donā€™t need this project though. Solution: Archive the project, right?
  • Canā€™t archive the project because it disappears from ā€œCustom Templates Areaā€. Hacky workaround: Create a ā€œTemplates Teamā€ (I canā€™t without paying double for the Templates Team account or switching to a business account.
  • I canā€™t do the above workaround without having to double my annual costs. Fine, Iā€™ll deal with having the project in my work area. Except, now I have these tasks on the ā€œMy Tasksā€ list. Fine, Iā€™ll mark them as complete.
  • Wait a minute! Now that Iā€™ve marked them complete, theyā€™re now missing from the template on future projects!

Asana, please help us on this. If you combined many of the feature requests regarding templates, theyā€™d rank a lot higher. For example, the below list is for roughly the same thing. At the heart of these requests, everyone wants one thing: Templates separated from projects! Almost every complaint Iā€™ve read today about templates would be solved by simply separating templates from projects. A few of the requests Iā€™ve found that would be fixed if we just removed the dependency templates have on a project are right here:

5 Likes

FYI my Flowsana integration solves this issue in its Dynamic Duration workflow, using an ā€œAssign Toā€ custom field which stores the person to be assigned the task; then when it comes time for the task to be performed (because its dependencies have been completed), Flowsana automatically assigns the task. So it doesnā€™t appear in a userā€™s My Tasks list until it can actually be started.

Iā€™ve been creating Custom Templates for our business and assigning tasks and subtasks to users. The problem is that when I create the template the tasks are showing up in ā€œMy Tasksā€ for all users. Is there a way to assign users in a template and have them not show up in ā€œMy Tasksā€ until a project is created using that template?

I believe the answer to this is no. A template is a project and many have brought up this issue. I have suggested that you use a tag for the Assignee in the template as a holder and then when the template is actually activated use access the tag (name of assignee) and do a multi task select to add the person to the Assignee filed. This possible could be done in a similar manner with a custom field.

1 Like

This has been indeed an issue for a lot of people, I flagged your question so the moderation team can merge it into the existing thread.

3 Likes

Hi @Arthur_King, this is a great question and, as @Bastien_Siebman said, we already have a tread on this topic with more information about this feature request. I have gone ahead and merged your post with Template tasks showing for users. Please donā€™t forget to vote to contribute to this feature request. Let me know if you have any questions :wink:

2 Likes