Team Calendar Filtering?

I’m looking for a way to have more control over what appears on the team calendar. Maybe I’m missing something, but it seems like every task that gets as due date appears on the team calendar. I would obviously like to continue setting due dates for all tasks, but not all of them are important to show on the overall team calendar. The volume of tasks simply overwhelms the calendar and makes it relatively useless. How do I filter them so that only the important ones we choose appear on the calendar?

@Dan_Vellucci,

If you’re on a paid plan, might the Timeline work for you instead of the Calendar? You can choose the tasks that appear in Timeline, unlike the Calendar.

If you’re not on a paid plan, it’s a bit more work but you could multi-home the important tasks to another project, e.g., <Project Name> Key Tasks, and then use that project’s calendar which will be tailor-made by you.

Hope that helps,

Larry

Hi Larry,
Interesting ideas. We are on a paid plan and use timelines now. I may not be totally up to speed on them, but I’m not aware of a way to remove tasks from the timeline view other than removing the due dates from the tasks? Is that possible to do? Typically all our tasks have a date associated with them, so the solution for us is a visibility thing, simply making them open ended wouldn’t be ideal.

I’ve never heard of the multi-home approach before but will look into it. Would it be possible to take tasks from multiple projects and multi-home them into a “master calendar” project?

We’re essentially one team with many projects looking for a way to visualize the overall workload. Say our capacity is ten projects going at the same time, all with different start and completion dates, we’re looking for a way to tell when the next project will finish and a new one can take it’s place.

Thanks for your ideas.

Dan

2 Likes

Hey again Larry,

I think I’ve figured out multi home enough to implement your suggestion. This may actually work perfectly for what we need. Thank you

Dan

1 Like

@Dan_Vellucci,

Whoops–my mistake. You’re correct; my Timeline suggestion was a red herring. I somehow thought the unscheduled area at the bottom of timelines was more than what it is, just a parking lot of no-due-date tasks. Sorry!

Great that the multi-home/master calendar approach may work and glad it makes sense (and actually exists, unlike my first suggestion!)

Re:

If you’re on a Business plan, you can consider Asana’s Portfolios feature. If you’re on Premium, you can consider either:

or:

Hope that helps,

Larry