Task with unique identifier

Hi @PH_Figueiredo,

You’re in luck! At this time each task does have a unique ID, which you can view in the task URL.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Search Task with task ID

One suggestion would be to add Task IDs that are specific to the project, so instead of “Task #6740782807802348”, it would just be “Task #18”. That way tasks could be referenced more easily by word of mouth, as well as give developers the option to manage the status of tasks with git commit hooks (e.g. A commit with a message of “Added homepage, fixes #18” would auto-complete that ticket).

21 Likes

Well, I think the important bit @PH_Figueiredo is asking for is a short Task Id like 001, 002, 003.

Not Id 0/123456789012345/123456789012345
Nor Id 123456789012345

16 Likes

Is there any plugin / extension available to make Asana assign a unique task ID, like 001…002… - something that is similar to JIRA.

12 Likes

Hi,

Any news on this one? Saying that 733234985573176 is a readable task ID that can be shared amongst an organization is not really a satisfying answer.

Cheers,

Stan

21 Likes

+1 StanBoyet, I’ve had a similar request stemming a couple of months back and it doesn’t look like it has been addressed yet: Reference numbers for tasks. There should be an option for numbering tasks based on projects. Your “unique ID” isn’t displayable anywhere in the task or digestable for a support team to work off of. We’ve been adding our own task numbers manually (and start dates too) into the task name as Asana is not currently designed to work with support teams as a ticketing system until these two issues are addressed.

7 Likes

+1 for task numbers being shown in the ticket (immediately visible on the board without having to open the task to see it) and searchable. Coming from Jira, this is a must-have. For any serious project manager, the sheer volume of tasks means a ticket ID is a necessity. And please, make them short. I need to be able to tell someone ‘look at ticket ABC1234’, so numbers specific to the project is my pref too.

7 Likes

This would be great. We manage a number of projects in a given day and having a unique identifier in the project name would be helpful.

[BA#001] Project Name
[BA#002] Project Name

This allows for easy searching and identifying projects via word of mouth.

We currently do this with an API to take requests from an external tool and create them in Asana with a specified template.

7 Likes

Hello Jess,

Hope you are doing good!

I am also in the requirement of similar feature. Could you please help me by telling like which API are you using and if it is available online or a custom API by your team.

Thanks,

1 Like

For anyone looking for a third party solution for this, please take a look at our integration. We allow you to use custom fields to add a unique identifier. You can also apply prefixes to specify which project, etc. You can find out more here: http://bit.ly/2yiDzxp.

1 Like

Hi @Alexis!

I just exported a project to .csv format and found out some tasks have the same ID. Are we doing something wrong or are we missing something?

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Hi!

Are there any news about readable unique ID of task? Without so feature asana isn’t usable.

4 Likes

+1 for a short unique task ID, as stated above this would be extremely helpful to track repo commits. I am used to correlating a task to a commit by adding such unique task ID to the commit message.

As seen in another reply is the html ID truly unique? Also can I query the html ID? I would suggest allowing users to query the short unique task ID if implemented.

1 Like

One more request for short unique task ID within Project.

3 Likes

Task numbers are great, but for development projects the task numbers should source from Github and follow the task numbering order without starting over from zero.

A lot of development teams use git issue number to number branches (which represent new versions of the code), and this makes a lot of things really smooth for referencing after the fact. Please integrate with Github better or provide an actual ID field that I can map the issue numbers to from the Unito Github connector.

1 Like

Hi @devops and welcome to the forum!

The “Product Feedback” section of the forum is a special section in that it lets you vote for features you’d like to see added to Asana.

That section has a request for this very capability, so it would serve you to add your vote for it! Here is the item where you can click the “Vote” button:

8 Likes

No @Alexis, this is a bad solution. Imagine me saying to another dev, “What is the status of ticket 489120482109849102?”. We need a short ID like ED-102.

Ben

7 Likes

I vote for the need for this feature

3 Likes

I’m actually surprised this feature doesn’t exist. As a developer, it seems pretty easy to implement

9 Likes