Task Status sync across projects?

Hi - is there any way to get task/ticket status to stay in sync across projects? I know a given project can define its own status per say in kanban boards, but we need a way to keep them in sync. Use case:

Each major project has its own kanban board, like the main project mgmt tool across teams, timeframes, etc.

The engineering sprint kanban board has task actively being worked on. When eng moves a task to test/ready for QA after a deploy, we want this status reflected in the project board for that PM team. The eng board has tasks from several project boards at once. Solvable in Asana?

@Phil_Seeman can Flowsana help?

Can you describe exactly how you’d like it reflected in that board? Do you want to see the task that was just moved to “test/ready for QA” shown in that board in its new state, do you want a new status update added to that board, do you want a new conversation added, etc.?

Hi - we ultimately what the “shared” status updated in both projects. The different projects are used for different organizational purposes and are mainly just buckets with different sets of tasks. Any given task we view its status as hooked to that task. What we dont like about Asana is each task has its own status it each project its in. Its kind of like optionally you’d want to support having a linked status, perhaps even as simple as if the naming conventions align or something.

Hi @Ben_Maisano - my previous question was to get 100% clear on what you’re referring to when you say a task’s “status” as there’s technically no “Status” field that’s associated with a task.

From re-reading your posts, I think you’re referring to the column that a task resides in within a particular Board-view project. Is that correct?

yes correct. In general as a task/ticket system seems pretty critical Asana would have the concept of an item having a status. In Kanban world typically the columns serve as different status indicators as a ticket moves through them, or back and forth between them.

Got it, that’s clear.

There’s no way within Asana to have those columns (technically Asana calls them “sections”) stay in sync between projects.

If you’re on a paid Asana plan, you could use Flowsana’s If-Then Rules to accomplish this, as @Bastien_Siebman mentioned. It would involve a bit of setup; if you’re interested in more details, let me know.

1 Like