Task Order with Ripple

It would help a lot if there was a task order we can turn on or off, or it could even be a custom field. I’m a little wary setting up a list of things to do in order if there’s a chance the order could get messed up. Also, any adjustment to the order needs to ripple change the rest of the items, as I don’t want to manually change numbers. So for example, say I have this list:

1. Emergency announced
  2. Activate crew
  3. First SITREP
  4. Prep equipment
  5. Load gear
  6. Setup on location
  7. Test gear
    etc…

now let’s say I forgot a step, and I need #6 to be “Notify manager of arrival,” so the list would change to:

1. Emergency announced
  2. Activate crew
  3. First SITREP
  4. Prep equipment
  5. Load gear
  6. Notify manager of arrival
  7. Setup on location
  8. Test gear
    etc…

Now, if it was 6 of 8, that’s not that hard to change. But if it’s 3 of 40 steps, that’s gonna hurt!

In the case above, I’m testing Asana’s usefulness during an emergency response. But there are other ways to use ordered lists.

I have already found that the order you select tasks in determines the order if you promote them from subtasks. There’s just too much room for error with the current system.

You can show task number before each row, and if you don’t put any order, that might do the trick?

Bastien
Asana Certified Pro, consultant, author and developer

Thanks Bastien,

I already have those on, they only help to an extent.

1. if I do a search so I can promote subtasks, it may (normally does) list them in reverse order.
  2. If I sort lists by different team members or teams, the numbers reset at each sort.

The numbers should carry with the task, so even if it’s sorted, if it was number 8, but after sorting it’s the first on in that persons sort list, it should still say 8.

And I’m not saying to get rid of the other numbers that you showed above, I like those too, but for a different reason.

Ok so to summarize you want numbers before each task title, but you want them to be “dynamic” if you add a tag “in the middle” for example?

Yeah, I want them to maintain their original reference, and ripple only when something is added in the middle.

This may be more complicated than I hope, just because of the way Asana filters and sorts. But maybe it can be based on a custom field. So any custom field set to say “work process” retains its numbering. If someone adds a new task, and tags it with work process, and the number it should be, then all other numbers ripple down one.

So example: custom field set to “work process”
01 First Task - TEAM-A - Assignee X
02 Second Task - TEAM-A - Assignee Y
03 Third Task - TEAM-B - Assignee Z
04 Fourth Task - TEAM-B - Assignee Z
05 Fifth Task - TEAM-A - Assignee Y
06 Sixth Task - TEAM-A - Assignee X

Let’s say that’s the raw setup, maybe as subtask even.

Now lets say someone filters to Teams, now it’s going to look like:

Or if someone filters to assignee, it would look like:

Now if someone adds a task to Assignee after step 5, then it would look like this:
07 Sixth Task - TEAM-A - Assignee X

06 New Task - TEAM-A - Assignee Y

Notice that the new task is 6, and the old item that was 6 is now 7.

The numbering you mentioned will be good for the individual, so assignee Y can see, 1, 2, 3, even though those tasks actually fall as 2, 5, 6 within the whole process. This way, if I ever need to see who has done what in the process, then I can check this list.

I know I can do dependencies, but honestly, they don’t work how I would think they should. If I make step 2 dependent on step 1, the person who’s assigned to step 2 can still complete it before step one is completed. Which is just odd to me. Also, dependencies don’t seem to have any relevance outside of the timeline, like I can see that something is dependent or what the order is without going to the timeline. I also think the if you move a dependent item, all other items should move with it, in relation. Granted, I wouldn’t mind seeing that as a setting, as some may want to move them independent of their dependences.

Hope that makes sense.

Did you have a look at Feature Request: Task Numbering? Does that help?