Task not created if I fill at first a text custom field then click in this same column

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
I add a task, I fill a text custom field and the task disappears.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Project in list view with a text custom field
  2. Click “Add task” at the bottom of the list and enter a text in the custom field, then click on another task in the same column (column of the text custom field)
  3. The task disappears

This doesn’t happen if you click in another column.

Browser version: Version 86.0.4240.198

Hey @Julien_RENAUD,

i’m able to reproduce and I believe this is expected because you’re existing the task without giving it a title :slight_smile:

I’ll double check with our team and come back to you when I have a confirmation!

1 Like

But if you click somewhere else (not in the same column) then the task is created even without title.

1 Like

Are you referring to other CF in the same task?
If not can you share some examples?

@Marie, This definitely should not be expected behavior because it loses user data, a clear thing to avoid. I often start tasks by pasting text in the Description, then add Title later; and other “backward” approaches like that occasionally. They’ve been deliberately guarded against by Asana developers; this should be too; if they don’t consider it a bug, they really should because users don’t like to see their data go away unexpectedly and unretrievably (no undo).

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks @lpb! I’ve filed a task to find out whether this is a bug or a product limitation. In both cases I agree this should be fixed, but depending on the outcome of this task, it might be prioritised differently. I’ll keep you posted here once I have an update :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Julien_RENAUD I can see you are running very weird experiment without me, I am jealous!

1 Like

We’ll ask for a new post category “Bastien & Julien 's weird stuff” :joy::rofl:

1 Like

Hi @Julien_RENAUD,

Just got an update from our team here:

In order for the task to be created, we need either a title or description or comment etc. There are a number of things that the app is checking when focusing out of a task to determine if it should be deleted. Custom fields are part of this, but the way it is currently implemented requires to wait a little while before moving to another field. If you don’t the task will automatically be deleted.

Our team has classified this issue as a bug, however, I can’t promise when they’ll be working on it as the priority is currently very low. I’ll keep you posted as soon as I have an update!

2 Likes