Tag endpoint broken when used with colors

Here is my initial post, posted on the old developer Slack and without an answer. I did not run the test recently, I was hoping someone could look up the error message and tell me what’s going on…

Thanks

2 Likes

I’m sure @Ross_Grambo would be happy to look up that error message :wink: especially since it’s extremely relevant to this time of year!

3 Likes

Hey @Bastien_Siebman!

Sooo I had to do some digging. It looks like that error was “potStyles is over max size”. That kind of made sense but I had no idea what potStyles really were.

Turns out, potStyles refers to the number of custom colors you can set for a specific user. Tags & Projects have a default color, but each user can set whatever color they want to override it. If a single user has overridden 600 colors, then they will start to hit this limit.

You could either:

• Remove the color setting here, your request should succeed
  • Remove the color setting from previous pots you control (pot means project or tag)

Hope this helps. And I love the month-appropriate error message :bat:

1 Like

That helps a lot. I had no idea you could have a limit to the custom colors used. Why? :thinking:

@Bastien_Siebman I just got an error message that remembers me that thread!

{
“errors”: [
{
“message”: “Oops! An unexpected error occurred while processing this request. The input may have contained something the server did not know how to handle. For more help, please contact api-support@asana.com and include the error phrase from this response.”,
“help”: “For more information on API status codes and how to handle them, read the docs on errors: Build an app with Asana”,
“phrase”: “14 nice shrimp shake lazily”
}
]
}

!!!

What lets you think this is the same reason?