"Tab+N" our new shortcut to create Sections

Might want to update the “Asana Basics Training” project template to reflect this change :slight_smile:

Hi Marie,

another question about the caption. I use the LIST option to make a weekly agenda for me and my colleagues. I used to copy the days and names below in the list so we could start a new week. I copy the whole bunch including section parts. But now you changed this it does not past the list items in caption anymore. This saved me a lot of time and now costs me **

** to make this new every week. Do you have tips because i am kinda frustrated about this…

Hi @Margriet,

If you’re using a new project for each week, you could use a template and create a new project from this template every week. If you’re using the same project, I’m afraid that the only option is to manually create these sections. So sorry for the inconvenience Magriet, I’ll make sure to escalate these feedback to our Product Team so can take them on board as they work toward re-designing Sections.

Hi Marie, thanks for your quick response.
I use this in the same project and rather not make so many projects.

It’s a shame because this ‘feature’ was the reason i use Asana and like to use it so much.

It’s such a small detail (what i don’t understand they’ve changed) but it makes my day so much more easy.

Could you ask why they’ve changed it?

Groet,

Thanks for the quick follow-up @Margriet

Check out this post from my colleague Matt to learn why we’ve changed this shortcut!

I’m very disappointed in this change, this beaks some integration (starting with a simple copy-paste) and makes it trickier to use. Previous posts explained the reasons very well. People in Asana Inc. are very accustomed to the tool because intensive use, but other people are not: the TAB-N or the button is really far from being fast to use.

There are at least two options:
A. Hide the colon on Board view.
B. Use the colon as a gesture.

In both cases it’s possible to implement both features without breaking the current UX.

Hi @Matt_Bramlage,

I really appreciate the openness in your reply. Also, I do understand all aspects of the change, confusing as it is (and even given my initially-unclear question!), after now having worked with it for a couple days after enabling the new_sections deprecation in Asana2Go, and working with a Board project’s sections via API/curl for the parts we can’t see yet until migration.

Future Migrated Project List View (which will use real Sections)

I’d like to strongly advocate for being able to make task selections across sections in a migrated project’s List view. Even if the sections themselves are not part of the selection set. Just as in My Tasks now one can drag select starting at Task 1 down to Task 2 (across UPCOMING):

> TODAY
Task 1

> UPCOMING
Task 2

. . . I strongly advocate that a similar selection style is permissible after migration in a project list view:

> SECTION 1
Task 3

> SECTION 2
Task 4

. . . such that one could select both Task 3 and Task 4 together (resulting in 2 selections in the selection set). By extension, one could always select all tasks in a list project (across all sections).

Is that how it’s currently implemented in your dogfooding? I know of a number of workflows that would be thwarted (including many used by Asana2Go’s standard and custom formats) if you couldn’t select tasks across sections, and I’m sure there are many unknown present and future workflows that would be adversely affected if this were not possible. Although I initially asked if sections themselves would be included in the selection set, I can see that they shouldn’t be; I’m just concerned about selecting across sections, not that the sections themselves be included.

My Tasks and Subtasks (which use Separators, not Sections) After new_sections Deprecation

For My Tasks and for subtasks, where separators will remain, I’d like to advocate that they continue to operate as they do now, which is different than the above post-migration project list view, such that one can continue to select separators and tasks together, across the whole list project (or for subtasks, across all the task’s subtasks). In this case, the selection set would include both separators and tasks, because they are the same resource type (task) and the user may want to modify attributes simultaneously. I also advocate this because it is less of a change for all of us than a different approach, and that can only reduce user woe!

I hope this makes sense and that it’s reasonable; as far as I can imagine, a different approach, for either of the two cases outlined above, would be problematic due to the known and unknown workflows it would break.

Thanks again, Matt, all your help!

Larry

Hey Larry, just one note in terminology: Asana has decided that what they were previously calling “task-sections” are hereby named “separators”.

@Phil_Seeman, Good point; I just updated to correct; thanks!

This name is purely for clarity in API, because we need an especially high standard for precision in our communications and documentation. The Asana web product and Asana as a whole may or may not retain the old terminology, but that hasn’t been decided yet.

So it seems that the colon functionality is back… awesome to see…:grinning:

Hi @Marie,

I had been using the new Tab+N to create a new section for about a month now. To be honest, it still doesn’t feel natural after a month of trying to get used to it. Here are a few things that did’t feel right:

1. If I want to start the first subtask as a section title, I can’t do so with a Tab+N. It seems like your cursor needs to be focused on a subtask, then, a Tab+N will create a second row of subtask as the new section title. Which means, I’ll have to delete the first row after creating the section title
  2. Creation of a new section title must be done before typing the name of the section title. If you had typed the name of the title, then decided it should be a section title, you’ll need to copy the text - Tab+N - paste the text - delete the previous row of subtask. It still feels much more natural to merely type the colon at the end of a text to turn it into a section title
  3. And to turn an existing section title to a normal subtask, merely removing the colon is much easier and faster as compared to; copying the section title text, paste it as a new subtask, then delete the section title.

I certainly hope the section title behaviour with the colon will return to how it was. It’s much more swifter, makes more sense, and more natural to work with

Thanks!

Hello? Why is nobody able to answer my question of how you convert a section header back into a normal task? Before, I could delete the colon and the header would become a task - there is no way to do this now, and nobody is addressing my concern in this thread.

Please stop ignoring me on this, Asana.

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
Creating section by colon “:” does not work in web app.asana.com
Not even converting section into task by removing the colon in the end.

Steps to reproduce:
Simply adding/removing colon at the end of task name.

Browser version:
Chrome 71 on Windows 10

Upload screenshots below:
asana%20colon%20bug

I tried anonymous browser window and even different computer and different account.

Hi @Marek_Cevelicek that is not a bug. An update to sections is being rolled out. Use cntrl+N to create the section.

Jason.

Oh, thanks for that info.
And is there any way how to turn section back into task? I found no way.

Marek

Sorry Marek I don’t have access to that functionality as yet as the roll out hasn’t made it to me as yet.
There was work also done on Copy and Move tasks maybe it is in that part of the task options.

@Edda are you able to assist?

Jason.

@Marek_Cevelicek, check out "Tab+N" our new shortcut to create Sections for a post with more info about this change.

No you can no longer change between Sections and Tasks. Part of this change is that Sections are no longer a modified Task but a different type of object all together. One of the consequences of that, is there isn’t an easy back and forth between the new Sections and Tasks.

Ok, thank you both for answers. It helped me from trying to find a way.