Syncing task list with Google

Is there a way to integrate and sync my Asana tasks into my personal Google task list? I synced the tasks so they show up on my personal Google Calendar as “all day” events, but ideally, they’d show up in the task list. And, even more ideal, they could be marked “complete” on either my personal Google task list or in my Asana account and they’d disappear from both lists.

36 Likes

Did you have a look if Google Tasks shows up on Asana Apps and Integrations • Asana?

Hi @Jessica_Inge,

Sounds like this is something you can achieve with Zapier: https://zapier.com/app-directory/asana/integrations/google-tasks :slight_smile:

Since we pay a lot of money for Asana, pointing us to a paid third-party service is not really a valid solution from where I’m sitting. @Marie any news on whether we can expect this feature in the foreseeable future? Thanks

30 Likes

+1
The Asana Gmail sidebar is not very good. The Google Tasks sidebar is great! I would love to sync my Asana Tasks with Google Tasks:

• Task Name
  • Project
  • Asana Link
  • Due Date

Ideally with a 2-way sync.

@Marie, Zapier would require a lot of Zaps to create a seamless 2-way sync. Also, it would not be easy to make sure the sync would work if the task ever got renamed. An Asana support function would be appreciated! (I see Fellow has a similar function)

Or (better yet) can you improve the Gmail Add-on to show a list of all assigned Tasks? (like Google Tasks)

22 Likes

I too would like features like this.
I love that Google Tasks in the sidebar, but need to use Asana for project management.
@Marie, my New Years Wish is to have a well functioning Asana taskbar or sync with Google Tasks.

Crossing fingers.

7 Likes

Would be extremely useful! I second all of the above. Have tried my hand at creating Zapier connections and it’s also been frustrating.

6 Likes

+1 please consider @Marie

I’m glad to see this as an existing discussion. I was wrestling with Zaps and also feeling overwhelmed by the additional expenses.

@Marie
I use Google Calendar and Google Tasks because visually seeing the times on a calendar that work is realistically going to get done (among the rest of my appointments and personal commitments, etc.) is the best way to manage work-life harmony.

Having them show as All-day events says to me “these are the projects or tasks you have to remember to squeeze in ‘at some point’ today.” It’s also overwhelming for me to have more than 3 All day events to remember to squeeze in between my appointments and visible tasks.

During the pandemic more of us are juggling work and personal tasks and ‘business hours’ are getting blurrier. It would be of great value to small business owners like me to have the ability to integrate the visuals.

If Asana’s developers are unable to develop a two-way sync feature to Google Tasks at this time, having the Asana project or task display on the Google Calendar as an Event at the start time (with the Asana link) would suffice for me. I would still manage my projects statuses, planning and goals in Asana but not feel like it was burdensome to remember what time something was scheduled to happen or if the time changed.

Lastly, if syncing an event with a duration is challenging to figure in, you can default it to a 30-minute event (how Google Calendar typically shows the tasks from Google Tasks).

I hope this helps! If you want more detail or a beta tester on the suggestion, please reach out.

Would you and your team consider this type of workaround?

6 Likes

Hi. Has there been any update on this thread? I noticed today that tasks on Asana with specific due times show as All Day Events in my google calendar which is not ideal.

2 Likes

+1

The new Google Tasks in Rooms is really helpful, and a true Asana integration would be great!

3 Likes

+1 to all of this! I live in Google Tasks, and I would love for Asana to play nicely with it.

3 Likes

Yes, I think this should happen too. So many teams you Google to manage their emails, how does this not exist?

2 Likes

@Marie what’s the update here? I downloaded the Asana Gmail Extension thinking it would act as Google Tasks does - showing all of my current tasks as well as being able to add tasks via email, but it only does the latter. What’s the point of this extension if we can’t see a complete task list from Asana in Gmail?

2 Likes

need this!

1 Like

+1 all of this!

1 Like

Since we pay a lot of money for Asana, pointing us to a paid third-party service is not really a valid solution from where I’m sitting.

3 Likes

+1 to this!! Asana has been neglecting Google integrations for a long time now. With the new Google Workspace changes, it would be amazing to be able to better integrate/sync Google Tasks with Asana. Or, even being able to view Asana Projects or My Tasks alongside the Google Tasks in Chat Rooms.

8 Likes

+1. Need Google task integration with Asana. I’m copying over tasks from my Gmails over to Asana and it’s very cumbersome, taking extra time I don’t have!

1 Like

+1 here too!

+1 to this request as well. I have personal tasks I carry out through Gmail + Google Tasks. I want to get this over to Asana if possible. I could see the integration improving my workflow and allowing me to see all my tasks through Asana. I wasn’t sure how to vote for this, but it has my vote.