Switching from Boards to List View (and vice versa)

Just come across the need to do this myself today. It would be really handy!

I was considering switching to Asana - I love everything but this ability is a requirement for my team. It is a no go without it. I willing to move with a date commitment but can’t without a something beyond hope.

1 Like

+1 for this. Or even multi select in a Board view to copy over would do the trick.

+1 for this feature!

2 Likes

It is unbelievable that an option like this is not available and it has not been introduced after all the requests submitted.

4 Likes

Well we are still waiting
 seriously! How hard could it be to add this??

:angry:

3 Likes

This is the second most popular thread on these Forums. The +1s have been coming for 6 months

It also doesn’t seem like it’d be very hard to implement. Not inspiring a lot of faith/hope :frowning:

2 Likes

+1 Please. The boards seemed like such a good idea, but I know I’m a list gal now. PLEASE! It’s almost September.

5 Likes

Here is an incredibly annoying, time-wasting work-around:

• Create another project using a list view.

• Append “List” to the project name. So “Blog list.”

• Go into your original project.

• Click on each task in the board, and over to the right of the project name, hover over it and look for a pale, pale bar with a little pencil in a super-inaccessible contrast color.

• Click that. This will let you rename the project the task belongs to to your new project name. It will move the task to the new project.

• Once you’ve moved your tasks over to the new project, delete your old project.

4 Likes

Really hope that after months of very clear feedback of “yes we really need this” from so many people this actually moved from “we are talking about it” to “we are doing it”.

Having two projects with the same tasks is a clumsy workaround, adding both extra time and duplicate information, both of which are undesirable especially on large projects. Besides, boards are set up in a way where you can’t see the text on tags, for example. I don’t want to go to another project with the same tasks just to achieve something that simple.

+1 to this feature

8 Likes

I might be willing to do it for a free open source software, not for something I paid for.

3 Likes

WOW! This really took off! I just posted this back when I started using the platform as I thought it was a pretty simple and basic feature that many other platforms had.

I am not too sure how big Asana is in terms of developers/engineers, but having this “Community” as a way to improve the overall product and experience is something of an old sales technique: ask what your customer wants and deliver it. Now, I get they can not take and build all requests, as some things are too far out of reach.

There are just simple things like

**- switching from boards to lists, **
**- being able to delete files from the files section. I find it weird that I need to remember what the file name is in order to delete it. But when I go to files, I can see exactly what the item is but can’t delete it there. **
**- keeping the edit/undo button next to a comment. If I want to update it and it’s beyond the time frame that was decided the whole comment needs to be deleted. Yes, this is real, folks. **
- not being able to have custom hex colors? It’s almost 2018 here, come on!

I don’t know, I am just a single user, so not the real user that Asana caters to, but these items seem pretty simple and useful. Additionally, I have never really been one to conform; and so, as soon as something better comes along, I am considering a switch.

I haven’t even been contributing to this community any longer as the canned responses just were a turn off for me.

Good luck to everyone and keep making your voices heard if you feel that they will make a difference. If you ask me, I am beyond puzzled by this company and how it operates and what goes on there.

11 Likes

We are heading back to trello.

5 Likes

I really think that you should implement this. - fellow product manager

1 Like

I have voted for this feature but I’m surprised by the strength of feeling over this topic. Is it really a deal-breaker? It’s come up maybe once or twice, where we’ve created a project in one form and realised it might have been better in the other. Other than that, I’m struggling to think of when it would be an invaluable option.

If we could multi-select cards in board view, or move more easily between them, I’d be happy with that. For me, that’s really the only advantage that lists have over boards at this point. I suppose it depends on personal taste.

1 Like

+1 really wanting this function soon please!

1 Like

Especially useful for those of us migrating from Trello to Asana. We still want to use the boards, for the most part, until we decide to change that (if we do). It helps with the company culture management and moral as I add my team into the new system and process (Asana).

2 Likes

Incredible that Asana has raised $80M+ and can’t implement simple features, or at the very least have a product roadmap of simple features. So many startups do more on so much less capital. Look at www.hive.com. They have the ability to switch from board, list, calendar. Simple. They also have a native OS X app which is something the Asana community has been pining for. Founded by former Facebook employees, you’d thing Dustin et al would understand being responsive to their users.

4 Likes

Maybe they have a limitation on some architectural decision that makes the change hard to implement.

They’re in production with millions of users, so any new feature needs to go through the entire development lifecycle of a medium/large team: prioritization, design, approval, development, QA, homolog and then production. If the feature depends on some other change in the underlying framework, sometimes it gets stuck in the middle of the process (as there may be other priorities in the framework itself).

As far I know, their top priority is performance and speed, because it’s the main factor that makes them lose users. They have recently launched an updated version with huge speed improvements, so I think they may focus on other features from now on.

It seems weird, but small teams usually implement new features faster than large teams, because there are less specializations (and communications overhead), so people responsible for coding are the same responsible for PR and hearing users demands. This is faster from an user perception, but it scales to only thousands of users. When you approach the millions mark you can’t go on with devs only.

1 Like

Don’t forget to vote at the top of the thread, folks! Thanks so much for your thoughts - this context will be helpful when our product team does their next review.