Switching from Boards to List View (and vice versa)

Does anyone know if itā€™s possible to set up a project, itā€™s tasks and subs in list view then convert that project over into boards?

Thanks!

22717_2 Update from @Marie (April 2019)

**I can confirm weā€™re now actively working on this feature and planning to implement it very soon! Keep an eye on the #community-forum-announcements category for the latest news!

20 Likes

@Rich_Lamendola At this time the list <> boards functionality is not possible. However, itā€™s a request we see often and it has been prioritized by our product team. :slight_smile:

225 Likes

It would be great to be able to switch back and forth between list view and board view. Any idea when that feature might be coming.

75 Likes

Any update would be appreciated. Weā€™ve populated all of our tasks as boards and are leaning towards shifting to the list format but I donā€™t want to start from scratch if this capability is coming down the pike.

30 Likes

Weā€™re not able to report a specific timeline, but please know weā€™re aware of this need and are prioritizing it among other requests. Thanks for providing your thoughts on this!

27 Likes

Hi @Rich_Lamendola, @Regina and @Erica_Olmstead,

Thanks for your feedback! This is certainly something weā€™ve heard from others and itā€™s true thereā€™s not a one-click way to do this at this time.

Meantime, I wanted to make sure you are aware of the workaround?

• Create a List View Project with sections and map our all your tasks

• Create a Board View and match the sections to the column headers

• Using multi-selection of Tasks, multi-home each sectionā€™s tasks in the board to the appropriate column in the list. More on multi-home: How to Complete Task Fields in Asana | Product Guide ā€¢ Asana Product Guide

• If youā€™d like to add custom fields, be sure to do so in only 1 of the projects as they will show up in the other.

Of course you can do the same method starting with board view.

Now you can move back and forth easily from Board to List!

20 Likes

Hi! This workaround is ok, but not great as it creates a new project and itā€™s just a bit too much. Itā€™s been a couple of months now, any updates on when this is coming?

11 Likes

We arenā€™t able to provide an update on this functionality at this time. You might be interested in learning more about how we capture product feedback from the Community. If so, I recommend that you read this post:

2 Likes

Plus 1 for Switching from Boards to List View (and vice versa)

30 Likes

+1 to boards/list switcheroo with a single click

17 Likes

@Aisling_Grogan Iā€™m not sure I understand. Do you mean to shadow one project with another, one with a different Layout than the other? I.e. one List (View) Project and another Board (View) Project and let all tasks belong to both?

If not, how do I create a View ?

1 Like

Yeah! Thatā€™s what she means - just that a ā€˜sectionā€™ in list view would be a ā€˜column headerā€™ in boards =) And all the tasks live in both projects.

3 Likes

Switching from board view to list view is so necessary! Makes it so much easier to have an overview and also a break down of smaller tasks and depending on the context, you can view whichever one you need!

22 Likes

+1 boards to list switching functionality

15 Likes

+1 for switching boardsā€¦Asana is a great tool and the more I use it, the larger the need for board migration between views. Thanks !

13 Likes

Thanx @Caisha for the help. The method works. A little awkward, but it works.

Having projects in list-view has several advantages over boards-view so being able to switch is quite important I think. Especially multi-operations are much quicker in lists.

Iā€™ve additionally found another workaround (particularly for board projects )that Iā€™m trying out. Anyone please let me know what you think:

• Tag all issues in a project (called TheProject in the example) with listview:TheProject. This may be a pain if one already has a lot of issues in project, but not more painful than iterate through each for double project assignment.
  • In your board project open one of the issues and click on the tag listview:TheProject

VoilĆ , a list of your project emerges.

Observations

Pros

• When adding new tasks in this ā€œlist viewā€, the the tag will be inherited in the new task
  • Much easier to multi-operate in list-form (assign, new tags e.t.c.)
  • Tasks belonging to several projects will be listed more than once section-wize

Cons

• If one also like to use sub-tasks, one doesnā€™t need to assign to a project (yey!), but the tag is lost when issue is dragged into the parent.
  • Sections doesnā€™t work well with Board Project. One can still have sections and they will appear in this view (but not in the board), but they play no role. Dragging a issue to a section is cosmetic and does not mean an association.
  • In the list-view, column names from the board are not visible
  • The extra tag takes up some real-estate (Itā€™s would be nice is there would exist tags that could be hidden).

I tried to experiment with sections named similarly (state:ColumnName) as the columns, but that seemed to be a dead-end.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers //Michael

9 Likes

+1. First feature missing from Asana (that I had in JIRA).

9 Likes

+1 for this, Iā€™m about to delete our boards to create lists.

10 Likes

+1 for a switch from boards to lists. I have some big boards that I need to switch to lists. Boards just do not have all the functionality that lists do.
Is there a way to select all tasks on a board so you can move them to a list without going through each task?

14 Likes

Thanks for the feedback about Boards, @Dan_West.

Regarding your question, you canā€™t do this straight from the board, but you could pull an Advanced Search for all tasks in the Board project and the use click+shift+click to multi-select in the list view and then add them all to a new list project with Tab+P. Hope this helps!

11 Likes