Switching from Boards to List View (and vice versa)

Sorry, but I am totally confused… all I want to do is look at my project that is set up as a Board in the format of a List, and visa versa… I have no idea what a tab+N will do for me and where I even use that to toggle between the Board and List formats for my project. Is there anything more descriptive for non-coding folks?

+1 from me. Freedcamp can do this and I am thinking of switching because of that alone

I’m all for the functionality of being able to switch back and forth from board to list view, but in doing so, this took away the ability to switch between a task and a section header. Is there any way to accomplish both? It was really convenient to be able to switch tasks into headers and visa versa… Even if you don’t bring back the colon, perhaps the Tab N could be the same keyboard shortcut, but just able to toggle between task and section header?

Any updates on this from Asana team?

I want to add my request for this to happen. We have members that prefer list view and members that prefer board view so we’d like to be able to switch between them within the same project.

1 Like

To clear up the confusion…

You don’t use Tab+N to switch between list and board. It’s not possible to switch between them yet but it’s coming for sure.

What @Marie was referring to was that currently in Asana, sections in lists and sections in boards are two completely different objects behind the scenes. This is what’s preventing Asana from implementing the ability to switch a project between list and board views.

In order to provide the ability to switch views - which they are definitely doing because they know it’s important - they have to convert all list-project sections into board-project sections (that’s a bit of an oversimplification but good enough for this discussion). That is a massive undertaking - remember there are literally millions of Asana users - and quite an involved process under the hood and otherwise.

The Tab+N that Marie was referring to was the fact that before they could even provide the capability to turn list-sections into board-sections, they had to create a standardized way to create sections, and they chose Tab+N.

Rest assured that this whole process of transitioning sections is definitely in motion. You’ll hear more from Asana as the time comes when you can actually convert your account’s list-sections into board-sections; again that’s the first step. Once all list-sections are converted, then Asana will be able to add the ability to switch a project back and forth between list and boards views.

For those who want more gory technical details, you can see this thread:

4 Likes

I would like to be able to change the view of my projects from List view to Board view. Currently I can create either List View or Board View projects. Is it possibly to add the functionality to change the view back and forth? Thank you for your consideration.

Hi,
A post is already opened on that topic, you can vote here:

@marie I think you can merge the 2 topics.

1 Like

Thanks @Julien_RENAUD,

I’ve gone ahead and merged this thread with the existing one!

Thank you

1 Like

I was able to switch by exporting the board to a csv file, setting up a new project list by importing the file. It worked great! Then all I had to do was archive (or you can delete) the old project.

2 Likes

Great idea. I’ll give that a try. Thank you

I was told by the Asana Twitter team that they are working on launching this feature soon.

2 Likes

Really exciting news. this topic surfaces in my organisation every time. Different information works much more efficiently as boards or list. But having to decide on one from the get go restricts a lot of our team info priorities. I can’t wait !

1 Like

+1 for this feature. Seems like it has been requested for at least a year and a half now so about time this is implemented.

Is it that simple? Explore to cvs and upload to the new board? There is no caveat/drawback?

Not sure the CSV export supports all the features (custom fields, multi homing, dependencies…) so you might lose things along the way. @James_Carl you are the expert, maybe you can help.

Hello,
I understand from a recent training that you can convert in one direction but not both due to extreme coding opportunities. Can you clarify which direction is possible and if this is a feature that Asana is investing resources in? Some members of my team are quite visual and the board view is preferred while others feel lost in it. If this will encourage more of the team to use the tool because they can convert based on a setting, that would be wonderful.

Thank you awesome Asana Team!
We love this tool!

Hi @Jennifer_Herrera and welcome to the Asana Community Forum!

We’re currently working on implementing Switching from Boards to List View (and vice versa) ; and I should have some good news to share soon, so keep an eye on the #community-forum-announcements section for future updates! :slight_smile:

Note that I have merged your post with Switching from Boards to List View (and vice versa) to avoid having too many duplicates in the Forum; hope you don’t mind!

4 Likes

Would be great to have the ability in My Tasks to switch between List-view and Board-view. Many times I find the board-view way more clear than the list-view. It gives a more visual insight in your prior tasks. Might cost just a little effort, but it makes the My Tasks window much more applicable in my opinion.