Switching between companies without opening new windows

I can not stand this update. All of these open tabs clutter my workflow. In what way could this actually benefit the end user? Please please please revert back

Super annoying indeed. I use Asana pinned in a webbrowser and want to switch between organisations/workspaces over there without a new tab opening up.

I filed this issue as a bug to support a few days ago but as I didnā€™t hear anything back yet I Googled to see if more users are experiencing this. Glad to see support, now letā€™s hope Asana listens and acts.

If this behaviour is desirable to some, could it be made an option for those of us who are used to the previous workflow please? I have installed the app from Asana - Chrome Web Store and then used Chrome settings so that it opens as a Window rather than a Tab. This keeps it in a separate Window from the Chrome browser, but now on switching profiles, Iā€™m returned to the main browser where it gets lost amongst my many other tabs, which is exactly what I was trying to avoid. I switch between profiles several times a day and now even switching back to the original profile opens another tab.

If I can describe it this way:

1. Start with two windows - Window A = my main browser, Window B = Asana only. Set to Personal Profile

2. I switch to Work profile. This opens a new tab in Window A

3. In Window A, I switch to Personal profile. this opens another tab in Window A.

I now have Personal in a tab in Window A and alone in Window B, as well as Work in another tab in Window A.

1. In Window A, on the tab that has Personal, I switch to Work. This opens a third tab in Window A with work.

I now have Personal in a tab in Window A + alone in Window B
Plus Work in two different tabs in Window A.

This is very confusing and means I need to manually close tabs that I didnā€™t want anyway, and my Window B, which is Asana-only workspace, is practically useless.

Anyone here familiar with the Shift app? https://tryshift.com](https://tryshift.com/
After the update Asana is un-usable in Shift. I can not understand the reasoning behind forcing new windows for each company, a user already could open a company in a new window before if they CHOSE to do it. This is a really stupid mistake from a userā€™s perspective. Give us back the ability to choose to open in a new window or not!

2 Likes

It might not be super usable but it is fun. It is like having to do some sudoku every time when updating task progress.

2 Likes

Still no feedback? wowā€¦

Hi all and thanks for sharing your feedback with us.

While we donā€™t reply to every comment on this thread, rest ensured that weā€™re closely monitoring every comment posted here. As my colleague @Natalia mentioned earlier in this post, this update was necessary for future updates our team is planning. I appreciate this is not ideal for every scenario and workflow and will require some adjustments. While weā€™re not planning to roll back this update in the near future, Iā€™ve gone ahead and escalated your feedback for our team to consider; Iā€™ll make sure to keep you posted as soon as I have an update on my end.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to add one more slant to this thread. I think what weā€™re after is the ability to make Asana work in a browser like it does in the mobile app. When switching profiles in the app, it doesnā€™t open another app.

Just a suggestionā€¦image

7 Likes

@Gianni_Liburdi,

@Natalia and @Marie have indicated that this is a requirement for Asana upcoming (unfortunately).

I sure wish it wasnā€™t, because I really benefit from choosing each time I click a link to just click it or Ctrl-click it when I want a new window/tab (so no special setting would be needed, or as flexible as that approach if it were possible for Asana). Itā€™s slower to open a new window and load all the resources so thatā€™s why I liked it much more the way it was. But thatā€™s perhaps the very reason it wonā€™t be possible in the future.

Larry

1 Like

@Gianni_Liburdi That is a great suggestion. Unfortunately, I donā€™t have that option. My profile settings look like this:

When it is possible to receive a fix for this? It is not possible to use asana anymore.

This is really annoying and makes Shift (tryshift.com) unusableā€¦

Iā€™ll chime in again on this thread because, yet again, it seems like a case of ā€œwhy didnā€™t Asana run this past users, or at least inform them, ahead of the change?ā€

Topic after topic in this forum is two-sided, the one aspect being the actual issue, and the other aspect being the fact that changes are just made and users are left to find out about it during their work.

It seems like a very common thread weaving through so many changes that are made. It really starts to wear on me and discourages me from recommending Asana.

2 Likes

This is how an app performs, now itā€™s just another browser window. ugggggg

1 Like

If this is required for future versions, could we consider adding an option to the user profile so we can switch the new window functionality off or on?

Itā€™s a mockup :wink:

1 Like

Itā€™s so annoying :expressionless:

+1 to this whole thread. I have asana as a pinned tab to manage all my clients and having a new window every time Iā€™m switching companies is killing me. I really hope you guys come up with a solution to this soon.

I too am extremely frustrated by this new behavior. It makes Asana cumbersome, bulky and impossible to navigate smoothly. It slows me down considerably and an option is needed to defer to the old behavior. Please help!

1 Like