Stop users who have made changes while offline from overwriting newer changes made by others

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
Old data can overwrite new data

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a task with a description
  2. Have person A edit the task description
  3. Have person B later edit the original task description (they must be out-of-sync) and submit

Expected behavior:
Person B should be warned that they are out-of-date and their changes cannot be applied.

Actual Behavior:
Person B overwrites Person A’s work without realizing. In the real occurrence of this issue person B had fallen out-of-sync (not sure why) and the old description overwrote about 10 newer updates from various people.

Browser version: Numerous

Upload screenshots below: N/A

4 Likes

Hi @Mia :wave:t3: Welcome to the Asana Community Forum, and thanks for reporting this issue.

This seems to be happening because Person B is having connectivity issues; when that does happen, Person B should see an orange banner at the top of their screen indicating that connection was lost; so technically speaking they already receive an alert.

Can you confirm your colleague is seeing this banner? If not, since this issue is account-specific, I would recommend reaching out to our support team with the following information:

• URL of this thread (so you don’t have to re-explain everything)

• A screencast illustrating the issue ( Loom is a great app for video screencasts: https://www.useloom.com/

In your video screencast, we recommend that you use a Chrome Incognito window and have your Javascript console open:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95464?hl=en

Try to include the entire browser window, including URL bar, in the video screencast.

Again so sorry for the trouble and thank you so much for your patience and cooperation, we really appreciate it! Looking forward to your reply!

Many thanks for your response Marie. I think connectivity issues are a standard part of our modern on-the go lifestyle so I’m not too worried that person B may have lost connectivity or gotten out of sync. The bit I consider problematic is what happens when they regain connectivity. That someone with an old version of a task, can accidentally overwrite 10 people’s work when they reconnect, sounds like a genuine bug in your sync logic. Ideally, Asana would reject an edit on an outdated document.

6 Likes

Got you @Mia! Moving this thread to the #productfeedback category to allow other users to vote for this request and for our team to keep in mind for future updates!

2 Likes

Wonderful, thanks @Marie.

2 Likes