Static dependencies

Hello,
I am looking to set dependencies so that multiple tasks are dependent on 1 particular task to set timelines for the others. For instance let’s say we have Task 1, 2, and 3 dependent on Task A being completed. Once Task A is completed, Task 1 should be completed within 1 day, Task 2 within 2 days, and task 3 within 3 days. How can I set the dependencies to always keep these time frames? I have trialed Hive, which has a feature called “Lead” that can be set for dependencies to keep the spacing set properly, but I can’t find anything in Asana so far.

Thanks for your time!

Happy Friday @anon15396391 and welcome to the Forum! :wave:t5:

You could set a rule to add a due date on the dependent task once Task A is completed but unfortunately you cannot not set multiple due dates but only one. One workaround could be to set task 3 dependent on task 2 and this one dependent on task 1. I understand this is not exactly what you are looking for but it could help you in the meantime.

Is this something we can achieve with Flowsana, @Phil_Seeman?

Thank you for the quick response!

I will try playing with the method you mentioned and see what I can come up with.

1 Like

I have an idea as to how to make it what I am looking for work, but I seem to have run into another hurdle. It seems from what I have read that rules are globally set. Can I set rules to only be associated to a certain task. My path of thinking is that I can set a rule that is specific to Task A getting a due date that will trigger Task 1 to have a due date 1 day after the due date of Task A. Then I could create another rule that would set Task 2 due 1 day after Task 1, so on and so forth. Unfortunately, I will run into the issue of only having the ability to set 20 rules.

No, not possible. A rule will apply to all tasks in a project - you can only reduce or “filter this down” based on a rule’s triggers.

Thanks for the question, @Natalia. Yes, absolutely! @anon15396391, what you’re asking for is available as part of the Dynamic Duration-based Workflow type in Flowsana. It’s provided as the result of two features. The first is called “Lag Time” - Flowsana creates that for you as a custom field/column. Lag Time is the number of days between the due date of a dependent task’s predecessor and the start date of that task. In your example, you would specify Lag Times for Tasks 1, 2 and 3.

The other relevant feature of Dynamic Duration-based Workflows is that when you mark a task complete, Flowsana automatically adjusts the dates of its dependents to be relative to that completion date - and of course taking their Lag Times into account.

The combination of those two features gives you what you’re looking for.

1 Like