Ability to set ONLY a Start Date instead of Due date

While it’s helpful to have due dates for everything.
I would love to be able to set ONLY a Start Date

Think of it like, I start the task, but no due date is set until we begin.

That way I can load up on start dates, and they trigger someone to address the item.

Easier than having a sub task to adjust dates etc… Would also allow me to pin items to people on a day and have follow ups.

2 Likes

But isn’t the due date always start date + duration, and duration is known in advance?

Thats the thing… Sometimes we don’t “want” a due date… Just a date that we want things to kick off…

6 Likes

We also have a need to set a start date without an end date (yet) for similar reasons.

Rob

Yes, this should be a given. What a wonderful world it would be if projects always had a fixed duration… For example–I wouldn’t expect the Asana dev team to know the exact duration it would take to implement this piece of feedback, but I’d still love for them to know when they can start! :smile:

My team works in television and it’s extremely common to have to start working on a project before we have an air date. It’s annoying to have to come up with an arbitrary due date just to be allowed to have a start date, which is very often the more useful piece of information at a project’s inception.

4 Likes

Being able to set Start Date for a Task (independent of Due Date) would be particularly helpful when the duration of the task is not known in advance. Also, it would be useful to filter out things that our team either can’t start or doesn’t yet want to start. Thank you for the consideration!

I would like this as well, particularly in order to manage tasks a la GTD. I have a lot of tasks that don’t have nor require a due date, but I want them buried at the bottom of my list (or hidden) until a given start date.

1 Like