Project moves unexpectedly when editing a numeric field in Portfolio view

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
I have a Portfolio with several numeric custom fields. When I sort by one of those fields and then click in one project’s numeric custom field to change the number and start typing, after the first digit Asana immediately moves it in the sort stack based on the first digit entered. I can keep typing, but with a portfolio with many projects, the project often hops off screen – and even hopping elsewhere on the screen is a pain,

Steps to reproduce:
Setting the stage:
Create a portfolio and add projects to it (the more the better/worse)
Add a custom numeric field.
Populate the field for those projects with actual numbers - maybe, say, a 4- or 5-digit PO number.

Actual problem:
Sort the project by the custom numeric field
Click inside the field for a project
Type the first digit of a new number value
The project will fly elsewhere, moving it to the top of the list based on which digit (0-9) you entered. Keep typing the second digit and then it resorts. Third digit, etc.

Expected/preferred behavior:
Don’t resort until I’ve pressed enter or clicked outside the field to indicate “I’m done typing now and this is the new actual numeric value.” Projects don’t fly all over the portfolio list.

Browser version:
Chrome 88 stable

1 Like

Hi @Eston_Melton, thanks for your report! I’ve created a task for our product team so we can investigate this further. I’ll let you know once we have an update!

Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Thanks for patience while we were investigating this, @Eston_Melton! This is happening because you are sorting your list by a numeric field.

When you change the number and you are sorting the list by a numeric field, the task you are updating will be automatically moved depending on its new number. This is working as expected, if you sort your list by None the task will stay in the same place even if you update the number field.

Our team is aware this is something we can improve in the future, thanks for your feedback! Please let me know if you have any other questions!

This topic was automatically closed 16 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.