Sort Project List

Is there a way to sort the “Projects” section within the menu in the sidebar?

8 Likes

You can always drag and drop to reorder your projects within the Teams in your sidebar. It can be helpful to set a convention for how your projects are named to make sorting them easier and intuitive for everyone on the team. You can also use [highlight colors](Setting Up a Project in Asana | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide colors “highlight colors”) to help group projects visually in the sidebar as well.

2 Likes

Asana Team - We are really going to need this we are looking at managing 100+ projects with your software and need a search/sort function… Without this we will have only limited use for your software…

Please help

15 Likes

Hi @Matt_Paschick

You can actually do this now. We use drag-and-drop and highlight colours to reorder our projects in the sidebar so that they’re more manageable for everyone (note: all changes you make in your sidebar will be applied to everyone else’s). I also use favourites, because there are only about 5 projects I really care about. I tend to collapse the big list and concentrate on the favourites instead.

I can recommend this post for more ideas about how to organise using sidebar sections:

3 Likes

Is there a trick to dragging and dropping projects in the sidebar ? I can highlight and it seems I can drag but I can’t seem to drop. Am I missing something really simple or is this a paid feature only ?

1 Like

@Mike6 I think it is not possible in Personal Projects, is it where you are testing?

2 Likes

thanks for responding Bastien.

I was in a workspace not personal projects.

In the LHS sidebar are the various projects we are working on. I have
attached a screenshot.

I would like to re-order the projects on the sidebar and assumed that I
could just drag and drop but it does not seem to be a function that is
available or I am doing something simple wrong

Just to be sure, you can’t do what I show on the video?
dragndrop

I am having the exact same problem. Drag and drop re-ordering of projects is not working. The GIF in the previous message is very clear and my Asana does not have that behavior.

1 Like

Are you sure you are not in Personal Projects? If yes, it does not work there :slight_smile:

Thanks for advice. Works in Firefox, though not in Chrome, suppose some extensions are conflicting.

Try the Incognito Mode to have all extensions disabled.

I am having the same issue. I wonder why you cannot sort projects in Personal Projects?

2 Likes

From what I know Personal Projects is kinda of one big project that everyone shares. That is why you don’t have tags (they would be shared with others) and can’t reorder projects. My guess is that Personal Projects won’t stay long in this form, but this is just a guess.

I’d also like to see this feature. I have a lot of clients I’m juggling with a team. We enter them each in by name as individual Projects to keep them organized. I can drag them around and such, but it would be much easier to right click and sort alphabetically and keep them sorted that way when adding new projects.

9 Likes

I can’t figure out why I can’t sort Projects on the left bar in Personal Projects mode. I use Asana to work on some project with my small team and I’m completly happy with it. But besides it I use Personal Projects for, well… actually my personal projects. It is very convinient tool to keep all the things you need to do in your life in one place which is available from any device. I have a dozen of my personal projects and lack of ability to sort them is very disapointing.

The best way would be to have three options:

1. Sort projects alphabetically (ascending and descending).
  2. Sort projects by creation date.
  3. Sort projects manually.

But at least the third point is highly necessary.

I would be very grateful if this feature would be implemented one day.

8 Likes

See my answer above, you should move away from Personal Projects in my opinion and create yourself a Personal Workspace… You will have manual sorting, tags… There are tools to migrate tasks if you need.

3 Likes

Thanks, Bastien! At least I know that it is the only option. Will do that, thank you.

I am finding the same issues with our organization. We commonly go through 600+ projects a year, many of which span several months time. That makes drag/drop completely impractical. Even being able to sort it alphabetically would make a world of difference!
I hope they add this feature soon.

9 Likes

Being able to sort the projects alphabetically would make a massive difference to our company. Sorting them manually is time consuming. Could you let me know if this is a feature Asana is going to consider adding? Thanks

6 Likes