Sort project by due date

Hello, I’ve just started using Asana and I’m building my first project (I love the board view!). I can’t see how to get Asana to automatically organise the various tasks, which are under columns, by due date so they provide a timeline of events under each column. I’ve been looking around the web and this community board but I can’t seem to find the answer.

I can see how to order lists with the gear icon but I don’t have such an icon for my project.

If you could help me learn how to do this I would be grateful.

With thanks, Sonia

Hi @Sonia_Gill -
Congrats on creating your first Asana project and glad you’re :heart:ing Board View!

As Boards is a newer feature, there isn’t yet a way to sort the columns by due date.
We’ll note your feedback to our product team.

You can drag and drop the cards into chronological order, but know that’s a bit manual. :unamused:

Thanks for letting me know, at least I can stop searching for the answer now :wink:

7 posts were split to a new topic: Sort by due date feature for boards

Hey folks! For all product feedback on this subject, please post in Sort by due date feature for boards

I agree with Sonia. Being able to sort projects by due date is also a vital need for our company’s use as well. I’m surprised this was not a built-in feature. I do not have time to rearrange items on the boards.

1 Like

I would really like to see this feature added soon. All that needs to be done is add sort features to the drop down menu for the columns. Example: Sort by: Due Date, by tags, by assignee, etc. While adding this, it would be nice if you could have a way that users could add their custom fields to this drop-down menu. For example I would add “Priority Level” which is one of my custom fields. Manually dragging them around and placing them in order of due date is not the best solution. Thanks and hope to see it added soon! :slight_smile:

Hi all!

We just implemented new sorting options for Board projects! You can now sort your Board projects by Due Date, Assignee, Likes but also by Alphabetical order and by Custom Fields!

If you have any questions or want to submit your feedback, check out this post!

In the meantime, I’m marking this thread resolved! Happy Tuesday!

1 Like

Hello. Is there a way to set sort by due date as default?

Thanks!

Yes @Kirk_Skelton and welcome to the Forum!

Once your project is sorted by due date, simply save this view as your default view following these steps: How to use Asana, Asana tutorials, onboarding tips, and team use cases | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

Having a way to have different sorting on each Column would be good as well as reversing the sort order.

As a stretch goal, sorting by custom field.