Sort or Filter Timeline within a Portfolio

Our team is having similar issues and need the ability to sort & filter on the Portfolio Timeline view. This would have huge benefits to my team and others as well based on the number of inquiries on this post. Managing large portfolios without the ability to sort or filter (especially based on Project Status) and reporting on these projects has become difficult without this feature. Even a drag and drop ability in the Portfolio Timeline would be useful. Please let us know updates on this feature as it is very necessary!!

3 Likes

Can we all get an update on this post from Asana? It has been a year since we’ve seen an Asana staff member respond to this post. Is there something else we need to do to get this enhancement added into the product? We’re seeing other items added, like the ability to share a read-only link, but I am uncertain if something like that is really as helpful for teams trying to use this tool compared to being able to better manage their portfolios. We need this now! Asana, please hear us and respond. Thank you.

1 Like

+1 requesting to see this request realized. I just dropped all my department’s projects into a portfolio and was hoping to report out with timeline view to show my team’s upcoming work and sequencing to my peers … but instead I just get quite a semi-arbitrary jumble. This is very disappointing and quite frustrating.

3 Likes

@Marie I want to emphasise the timeline sorting for portfolios as well. It’s a must-have to organise a lot of projects.

@Marie or anyone working at Asana: When can we expect to see this very important feature added to the product? It is going on 2 years since this thread was started and there has been very little progress communicated back to us that this is being worked on. Can we get some traction on this and make it happen soon?

3 Likes

Hello, I’d also like to see an update on a filtering tool on the Timeline within Portfolio view please - would be very helpful to sort by due date, live projects, etc.

Am able to do this on the “List” view, it would be essential to also do the same thing on Timeline view.

Thank you.

1 Like

Adding another vote for this, the timeline view is really quite disorganized without the ability to sort by date or team.

2 Likes

@Emily_Roman - Hi! I see you are somewhat active in sending out various updates on the product, so I’m tagging you on this thread in hopes that it can get some visibility and response from Asana (as you can see from the thread there have been several people asking but no response from Asana). It actually looks like the last communication (from Marie) was back in 2019. Can we all “please” get some engagement on this item of adding sort and filter to the Timeline view in Portfolios? Thanks!

1 Like

+1

1 Like

+1 yes we’d consider sorting to be essential functionality for Timeline view on Portfolios. As others have mentioned previously, the purpose of a portfolio is to get a high-level view of what’s happening in our organization. If we can’t even sort information by, say, COMPLETION DATE, this view has very little value.

Our current workaround is to manually drag and drop projects in List view to the order we want to see reflected in Timeline. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Thanks for chiming in on this @Jay_Allen. The workaround you describe is all we are left with which is not very efficient, especially if you have a lot of projects in your portfolio. We’ve got to keep pushing this need. Everyone, tell your friends! :slight_smile: Asana is supposed to be making our work easier. This is a fundamental feature, and as I have mentioned previously, it is already being done in other areas of the platform. So, Asana, let’s get some development on this and make it happen in Timeline view of Portfolios.

@Marie, @Emily_Roman, @ anyone who works for Asana…can you all provide some feedback on this? If you are providing feedback somewhere else, please let us know.

2 Likes

Sorting alphabetically in the Portfolio timeline is a must have feature. You can sort in the list view, why not here too? It’s literally a tab in the same parent view. Seems like that functionality should already be built in. Asana, please, please, please prioritize this. We have tons of projects that are not all entered at the same time, and I would like to be able to sort by project name (which starts with a 5 digit number).

2 Likes

Hello @Emily_Roman @anon1924269 , I would also like to +1 to this sort feature.

1 Like

I love the timeline view on a particular project, to see this a simple gantt chart. However, the Portfolio Timeline view cannot be sorted in any way possible? I have multiple projects collated in to a portfolio, but all order goes out the window when viewed as a timeline? Surely it would be a fairly straightforward update to sort by ‘start’ or ‘end’ date??

If it had this, I wouldn’t need any other gantt chart software on the market.

Please help! :pray:

1 Like

Hi @Stuart_Kern, welcome to the Asana Community forum :wave:t2:

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback! Hopefully our Product team can implement Portfolio Timeline sorting in the future.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

@Rebecca_McGrath , I appreciate you acknowledging @Stuart_Kern on this. I got the same general acknowledgement nearly a year and a half ago from @Marie about keeping us posted, and have not heard anything from Asana since then.

Meanwhile, as you can see from the posts, we are all desiring some movement on this enhancement. Please give us some good news about this and not let it take another year and a half to post an update that essentially tells us nothing has been done but that we’ll be kept posted of any updates.

2 Likes

This is still an issue and I agree with other users makes it almost unuseable without at least a sort by project due date!

1 Like

@Marie Update PLEASE it’s been over a year since the last update

2 Likes

Voting for this as well!
We would really like to be able to filter the tasks in timeline view, preferably by tags or even customized fields.

2 Likes

@Marie I also vote for sorting the timeline! This is almost essential feature when using portfolios…

1 Like