Sort by parent filter

We use the board view of an Asana project as our Kanban board.

Background

The board has “Next up”, “Doing”, “Under Review” and “Done” columns.

Each task on the board is either a

• subtask of a supertask (i.e. task of a story) or
  • task on another project, with sections.

On our daily meetings, we discuss all tasks in the “Under Review” and “Doing” columns. Currently we must manually sort tasks in each column to group the relevant tasks together vertically. This manual process could be done by automatically by sorting.

Sort by parent

I would like to sort the tasks in each column by the supertasks’s title, if defined, and the task’s project titles+sections. For tasks with more than one parent project, the sort key would be the concatenation of the sorted parent project titles and sections.

To summarize, proposed “Parent” sort key would consist of

1. Super-task’s title (if sub-task)
  2. Alphabetically sorted list of the tasks project title + section (if defined).

Thanks!

Hi @Steinar_Hugi, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback!

While this feature isn’t available at this time, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello - I would LOVE to sort by parent task. It would work great under “+ add filter” > subtask > subtasks only, not subtasks, any, parent only

We use the parent task as the main “project” and under each parent tasks or “project” there is a workflow through the subtasks. So I have no idea what was actually done vs clicking on every task (I do this by sorting the task period by project and date… but it’s still a major pain).

It would be helpful to be able to dashboard parent tasks only too.

1 Like

Ditto. This is also a major need for our team to aid organization and transparency!