Slack Integration - Threaded messages for all updates related to a same task

I have been searching for this suggestion in the forum but couldn’t find it. I saw a lot of complaints about the noise that the integration can cause in a channel, and we share this view. What we would love is that when using the … Create Asana Task from the context menu of a message, that all Asana messages from creation to completion of that task would be added as a thread to the message the task was created from. The same could be done for /asana commands and add all subsequent status updates to that message. This way the channel would be kept pretty tidy but you will still be able to see all status updates in the channel in a very convenient fashion.

Many thanks! Jens

Welcome to the Forum @Jens_Seidl and thanks for sharing your feedback, it’s a great idea! Hopefully this is something we can implement in the future :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

I have wished for this feature as long as I have used the Slack / Asana integration. Yes yes yes.

I’ll add this use case:

In a ongoing channels and all other parts of Slack I get requests - I turn all actionable request to Asana tasks using the “Create Asana task from message” function. Problem is since it doesn’t create the task in the thread the person doesn’t know if I’ve seen the request. So I’m forced to go to the bottom of the thread - copy the task - and past it into the thread as a way of saying “I’m on it - check back here to see if its done”

If the integration did exactly what Jens said this would solve my problem. By creating a task its a way of acknowledging “I’ll do this”. If all related notifications were posted to that same thread (Comments, status updates, etc) the requestor would be able to stay a breast of their request inside of slack.

Make it happen! Everyone that wants this should click the BLUE VOTE button!

3 Likes

@PatrickS, thanks for taking the time to provide us with additional context and a specific use case, this is super useful to our team when prioritising feature requests. I’ll be sure to keep you posted as soon as I have more info on this topic.

In the meantime, have a great weekend.

I’ve contacted the Slack team and they said their API easily allows to implement it:

Yes, it’s possible. It depends on how a message is sent. As long as the message being sent is done via the chat.postMessage method using the thread_ts value the message can be threaded.

Yea I have considered implementing this with Zapier. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks for the reminder @Alex_Ku