Slack integration broken, can't re-enable

Important note: To help us resolve your issue as quickly as possible, please ensure to fill out all the sections below. Do not share any private information such as email addresses or phone numbers - This is a public Forum!

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the bug you’re experiencing:
Our Slack notification actions stopped working a few days ago, and when we try to re-authenticate with Slack the action only shows “Something went wrong, try again later”. This has been occurring for the last 3 days.

We’ve confirmed that the Slack app is authenticated and is added to the correct channels. The /asana settings command also works, but our action isn’t sending messages.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Follow the link from the “Your rule XXX needs attention” email
  2. Attempt to re-connect Slack as per the prompts when viewing the action.
  3. Click Allow on the Asana authentication screen, even though it’s already authenticated.
  4. Click Allow on the Slack authentication screen.
  5. Redirected back to Asana, where the rule status is changed to Active but an error appears for the action.

Browser version:
Chrome 121.0.6167.85, macOS

What version of Asana are you using (Personal, Starter, Advanced, Enterprise, Enterprise+, Premium, Business or legacy Enterprise)?
Starter

Upload screenshots below:

When viewing the rule:

After re-authenticating with Slack, rule status changes to Active but is still not working:

Network tab after authenticating showing a 404 from
https://slack-server.asana.plus/asana/rules/config:

1 Like

Thanks for posting this bug @anon30029477, I am also having the exact same issue.

1 Like

Hi everyone, sorry for the trouble with this integration. I have not been able to replicate this on my end yet. Can you let me know if the issue persists after trying the steps below?

Option 1: Reinstall the Asana for Slack integration through Asana.

• Click your profile picture in the top-right of your Asana window
  • Navigate to My Settings
  • Click the Apps tab
  • Under Authorized Apps, click Deauthorize beside the entry for Slack
  • Enter /asana settings again and click Connect Asana to Slack to reinstall the integration

Option 2 : Reinstall Asana for Slack integration through Slack.

• Type /asana settings into any Slack chat or channel
  • Options are displayed to you and are not visible to anyone else
  • Click the red Deauthorize button to uninstall the Asana integration
  • Enter /asana settings again and click Connect Asana to Slack to reinstall the integration

If this doesn’t resolve the problem, I’ll go ahead and escalate the case to our Developers. Thank you!

Unfortunately neither of those steps worked for us. I did notice in the Slack configuration page for the app that there were additional scopes that needed to be approved, but approving these didn’t help either.

If it’s useful for debugging the specific rule IDs affected for us are 1206006487853618 and 1206005659800370

Also facing this issue and none of the current recommendations have helped.

1 Like

We too are also facing the same issue. The recommendations did not help either.

1 Like

Hi everyone, thanks for confirming. Our Developers have already been informed about this issue, and hope they will be able to implement a fix soon. Apologies for the trouble.

This appears to be fixed for us now. I had to go back into the broken rules to re-authenticate with Slack, but once that’s done the channel/message fields appear and the rule is posting messages.

Any update from the Developers on the cause of the issue?

1 Like

Hi Garth and everyone. Thank you for your patience. Our Developers got back to me and let me know that they’ve noticed two separate issues, and that’s why the integration is working normally for some users but not for others.

First, the Asana API experienced an outage last Thursday, February 8th, that affected the authorization in Slack.

Second, during our investigation into the first bug, we also encountered a Slack bug where certain Slack notifications failed when users de-authorize and re-authorize. They’ve since fixed this bug.

After that second bug fix, we expect that any users affected by broken slack notifications should be able to fix the notifications by re-authorizing.

If you are still unable to receive notifications today, can you please try to de-authorize from our integration both in Asana (on the Settings > Apps page) and also in Slack (through the app page) by following the instructions below?

Reinstall the Asana for Slack integration through Asana.

• Click your profile picture in the top-right of your Asana window
  • Navigate to My Settings
  • Click the Apps tab
  • Under Authorized Apps, click Deauthorize beside the entry for Slack

Reinstall Asana for Slack integration through Slack.

• Type /asana settings into any Slack chat or channel
  • Options are displayed to you and are not visible to anyone else
  • Click the red Deauthorize button to uninstall the Asana integration

Let me know if the issue persists after testing that.

1 Like

After doing this, my team and I are getting some notifications but not others . All notifications appear in my inbox, but all don’t appear in Slack.

1 Like

Several users in our organization, myself included, are still having this issue. Deauthorize and reauthorize does not resolve it.

1 Like

Thank you for letting me know that the issue persists. I’ll pass this back to our Developers so they can continue investigating the problem. Sorry for the hassle

1 Like

Same, issue is still occurring and started the same time as the orignal poster for our team. What is the most recent update/solve from Dev? We have tried all the above and we are only getting around 5% of notifications.

Hi everyone, apologies for the delay. Our Developers believe the main issue with Slack notifications has since been fixed, but it looks like there were different problems going on at the same time, so we are asking users who are still not receiving notifications to reach out to our Support team directly with more details about their specific problem. This way, it will be easier for them to keep track of the reports and provide the correct workarounds and troubleshooting tips.

We will close this thread for now, but please reach out to our Support team directly if you are still running into issues, and they will provide you with a more tailored solution.

We appreciate your understanding!