It seems to me that we should go back to using tasks with special characters as Sections like we did before the “:” trick that bolded it.
The recent changes to sections have made them almost entirely negative, specifically.
- When you create them with Tab-N it creates underneath the current section, not at the place where you clicked, so you have to go find it, and drag it back
- Oops - you can’t even do that now - you cant drag a section header into the middle of a list (for example to add a “Get these done by lunch” header. ) you have to create a new header, and drag all the tasks to it.
- Nasty data-losing bugs where for example select a section, click Tab-Delete and the preceeding task in a completely different section gets deleted.
- You can’t move a header around separate from the tasks underneath it (before you could always select the header + tasks or just the header, now you can ONLY select the header+tasks.
- Cant delete the heading without deleting the tasks (also data losing if you make a mistake). So for example the irrelevant “Get it done by lunch” header, can’t be removed any more.
- As others have noted - you cant put descriptions. comments etc on the section header at all. So you can’t for example put a link to the Git issue in the section, or have the discussion “do we have too much in this section” on the section itself.
So I’m wondering, since Asana seem to want to make sections/sub-tasks less and less usable, and in particular dictate how we work, rather than giving us the flexibility we have always loved about Asana, do we need to move back to the old, several year old, way of just using special characters for section headings ?