Sharing Portfolios with Team Members

It would be great if we could add team members to our portfolio, providing a more organic way to share project information across our team (from management down).

The current method of email a shareable link doesn’t work very well. Undoubtably I have to share the link every time I want someone to have a view of our portfolios/

Thanks,
Shawn

4 Likes

Thanks for your feedback @Shawn_Stapleton; really appreciate it and will keep it in mind for future improvements!

2 Likes

Hi @Shawn_Stapleton - we workaround this by creating a “Reports” project, creating a Section called “Useful Reports:” in it, and then pasting the URL’s for the Portfolio view and other reports (“searches” in Asana’s nomenclature) we’ve created in the Description box. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

This would be really helpful for the software company I work for too. We have a portfolio we use to review all key initiatives being worked on by our Senior Leadership Team and the contributors are finding it annoying that they need to have visibility of all teams projects to be able to see the high-level updates on them in the portfolio.

4 Likes

Hallo!

We can use the portfolio to see the progress of every project from a global view. But everyone should be able to participate, not by clicking on the link, but adding users to the portfolio, so everyone has the portfolio.

Or, have a view with all the portfolios created. So everyone can go there an check them.

I hope you are working on this guys, it is pretty awesome what you are doing with asana!!

1 Like

Portfolios are a nice way to group projects together. However there needs to be a better way to promulgate access to those portfolios through the company. We cant send out a raft of emailed hyperlinks to all executives that require access every time a new set of projects gets launched and a new portfolio is created. The portfolio object need to be strengthened with security as opposed to the simple ‘recently opened’ list currently. If its never been opened, people will not even see it, and we cant really control access once the emailed hyperlink is sent.

2 Likes

I completely agree. After a few months of using portfolios, the rest of the team largely doesn’t look at it. The only person using it is the one who created the portfolio. This has significantly reduced its usefulness for our team

Thanks @dean.clough, I ended up doing the same, but it still hasn’t improve adoption of portfolios amongst the team :frowning:

Our IT teams have recently moved from excel spreadsheets for tracking Project tasks and updates to using Asana. I setup all the existing 12 portfolios and established over 150 in-flight projects for them however having to keep emailing links around every time someone new joins is frustrating. On top of that, users creating new projects forget to add it into the associated portfolio so they get missed from the weekly Team Lead reviews. Also, setting up custom fields in the portfolio view will add these to the project overview section but if a project is not setup within portfolios view, there appears to be no way of adding these custom fields without retrospectively adding the project into a portfolio. An assigned portfolio may not always be a requirement for every project so its a little frustrating to say the least. The sooner adding projects to a portfolio within the project is available, as well as giving permission based access to portfolios in lieu of emailing links, the better. We chose Asana purely on its simplicity of use to manage our teams requirements but the limitations it presents still require further development.

1 Like

Good news folks, we’re rolling out a new feature allowing you to easily share your Portfolios! More info in the following post: You can now share Portfolios and add your colleagues as Members! :slight_smile: