Setting Rules for Project Templates

We’ve been trying to use the Rules feature more to speed up and become more efficient.
One thing a few people in our company have asked is whether it’s possible to set rules against a project template as we use templates every month for various client and it’s going to be annoying setting the same rules each and every month. Although I can set rules for a project, then make it into a template, the rules don’t copy across when I actually opt to use that template.

Hi @Sarah_Crammond and welcome to the forum!

Hmm, that’s odd, the rules should copy over - they definitely do for me.

Just to make sure we’re on the same page: When you say “use the template”, do you mean that you select to create a new project, you select “From template”, then you select the template containing rules? And when the project is done being created, you look at “Rules” for the new project and there are no rules showing?

1 Like

I have the same issue. I’ve tried creating a new project from the template in various ways including the one you suggest (i.e. Use Template from the template dashboard, from the Home screen), and no rules copy over.

@Sarah_Crammond and @Jenn_Jackson,

I just re-tested this: I tested both the Duplicate Project function, duplicating a project with rules, and creating a new project from a template where the template had rules. And I tested in both a Premium and Business organization just to make sure there were no differences.

In all 4 cases, the rules copied over to the new project!

So, unless @Marie or @Natalia have any further thoughts, I would recommend opening a support ticket with Asana support so they can delve into the issue further. Here are the steps:

https://forum.asana.com/t/how-do-i-contact-support/19057/7?u=phil_seeman

1 Like

Hi @Sarah_Crammond and @Phil_Seeman :wave:t3:

I agree with Phil and would encourage you to reach out to our support team so they can tale a closer look into this for you!