Sections are now available on Timeline 🎉

Does this include sections for board view projects?

Not at the moment @Mihow, but this is definitely on our radar; I’ll make sure to keep you posted!

2 Likes

This is GREAT!

It looks like this it’s rolling out slowly. When can everyone expect to have access?

Hi @Christine_Forbes :wave:t3: It should be available to all our users in the next few days!

@Christine_Forbes just got word that Sections on Timeline has been released to 100% of our users! :zap:

I saw it pop up a little earlier!

1 Like

This is an awesome update! Really adds a ton of context here! 2 questions arise though looking at our more involved clients though. For one, prior completed tasked make the section incredibly tall and it’s quite jarring, especially when we only have 1-2 active tasks in a given section:

Is there any way to essentially “hide completed tasks” within the timeline? This is our team’s largest complaint at the moment. Or even better, if it would automatically adapt the vertical height depending on how many tasks are shown on screen at that given time, that would be awesome! Though it could be jarring if it was actively recalculating the height when going back and forward throughout the timeline.

And the second aspect is that in many of our projects, we use the custom field of “Phase” in a sense for “sections” because it allows for a bit more flexibility in our more structured projects. So our “sections” are actually the “phase” custom field dropdown:

The thing is, when going to Timeline, there’s no way to get this awesome “sections” view with these custom field “sections”. This is all we can see:

This is such a massive step forward for timeline, if the two items above can be remedied in some way, our team will be using timelines far more than just viewing it as a gantt chart.

Keep up the good work!

3 Likes

Hi @abass and thank you so much for your warm feedback! :blush: Unfortunately, it is not possible yet to filter your Timeline by tasks completion or custom fields, but this is definitely something on our radar. In the meantime, I would suggest to add your vote to Sorting / Filter options in timeline.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Timeline since it was released, to manage complexity across projects and annual planning frameworks. Was always wishing for Section Breaks to be included in the view…so great to see this now incorporated. Great job Team Asana and loving it!

1 Like

Is there any way to turn this feature off? While I appreciate why people want it, in our company’s case, it was better to see the list view by sections and then we sorted the timeline view by person. This particular update really puts a kink into how we schedule our tasks.
-Beth

1 Like

PS. also love the ability to hide unscheduled tasks, which allows better use of the Timeline real estate.

2 Likes

Hi. How to launch this feature? or it’s not available for my account?

Hi @Roman_Lysenko, and welcome to the Forum!

Could you confirm you’re working on a List Project? Unfortunately, sections on Timeline are not yet available with Board Projects Timeline View in Asana | Product Help Center • Asana Product Guide

Also, is your Timeline sorted by Due Date or Assignee? Note that Sections aren’t available when your timeline with that scenario

Looking forward to your reply!

I see now) I work in Board Project.
Sorting works well, but it`s not enough for our Team Project, it has a lot subtasks for different members, and separation on sections would be great solution.
Thanks for yor answer @Marie

1 Like

Any chance off filters coming to timeline? Sometimes, you just want to focus at some sections…

Hi @JohanW :wave:t3:

Great question! As far as I’m aware, this is not in our near term plans, but this is definitely something we will keep on our radar for future updates! In the meantime, if you haven’t already, I would recommend adding your vote to this thread from our #productfeedback category.

Let me know if there is there anything else I can help you with!

1 Like

Ok, thanks - really hoping for this one… Collapsible sections in timeline would also be a great alternative :wink:

Help needed in this question !

How can we display task and sub tasks together with the Section and Milestones in the left side of the page as well?

It’s so much easier to see the project in hierarchy instead of only the section on the left side bar.

MS project, Wrike, Clarizen, Project Place and many other vendors have this view, but I cannot find this possible in Asana. Anyone knows how to active this view?