Sections are dead! Long live sections!

Hi @JB_BRU, this thread is for the API changes only. You can leave product feedback about this feature in the corresponding product thread. I can say that there is no “going back” in terms of using tasks as separators, but I cannot speak to the long-term product roadmap for the new column-backed sections.

2 Likes

Well in the end that is what i did, but it feels a lot less elegant than before :sweat_smile:

@Joe_Trollo ok no problems, I will do the feedback in the corresponding thread.

2 Likes

Hello all, I have an update on our timeline to share. As of right now, 90% of all workspaces have been migrated to the new sections data model. The outstanding migrations are:

• The last 10% of workspaces
  • The “Personal Projects” workspace
  • Projects with more than 10,000 tasks (even in the 90% of migrated workspaces, these large projects were skipped)

This remaining work will not be completed at the same pace as the primary migration, and it may still be several more months until we roll out a solution for large projects and the Personal Projects workspace. Thank you for your patience!

6 Likes

Hi Joe,

we have some quite large projects and I observed that tasks can’t be added to at least 1 of our projects from 16.11.2019 03:52:33.000 till 19.11.2019 21:00:39.000 see [1]. As this is more than 4 days it would be important for us to know which of our project still need to be migrated as well as how long the migration for each will need.

I didn’t manage to find out which projects were already migrated using the java api client – manually checking some projects I see that at least 5 projects still have the This project is unable to be viewed as a board. info which indicates they haven’t been migrated, see [2].

[1]

com.asana.errors.ForbiddenError: Forbidden (Cannot add task to project. Project undefined is being migrated. Check out https://asa.na/api-sections for more information.)

[2]
projectIds:

Best Regards,
Findling Ronald

A post was merged into an existing topic: Return the ability to add description to sections

Hi @Ronald_Findling,

For us to better address the issue with your specific projects/workspace, could you reach out to our support team to continue the conversation? You can reach them at this link.

Any news on the overall progress? Can’t wait to decommission the code managing the two cases (migrated and unmigrated workspaces)…

1 Like

As of the last internal update, the remaining migrations are:

• The “Personal Projects” workspace (for which the migration is currently in progress)
  • Less than 100 projects that had unusual anomalies or regressions that need to be investigated and re-migrated

If your app/script doesn’t operate in the “Personal Projects” workspace, and you are okay ignoring the last handful of projects that are still being fixed (either accepting crashes or checking for columns and ignoring projects without any) you can consider it safe to assume that all projects are in the new data model.

I’ll continue to provide updates here as we wrap up the migration.

3 Likes

:sunglasses: thanks!

Hello all! At long last, I have the final update for this thread: all projects have been migrated to the new data model and use column-sections. You no longer need to worry about seeing a project that doesn’t have columns or sections in it.

Over the next few weeks we’ll be cleaning up the related code on our side. As this happens you’ll notice that

• the section_migration_status field will disappear,
  • GET tasks/<task-id>/sectionsMigratedTo and GET /sections/<section-id>/taskOriginatedFrom will be removed, and
  • the new_sections deprecation flag will be permanently enabled

so please update your apps accordingly! Thanks again for all your patience and understanding throughout this 15-month project!

6 Likes

Congrats @Joe_Trollo on the successful completion of this project. Massive piece of work and am sure lots and lots of unforseen challenges along the way.

Congrats again to you and all of the team involved…

Jason

2 Likes

@Joe_Trollo congrats on the work. Do you have a perspective on the “Archive Section” or “Mark Section as Complete” fundamental issue that this change has created for so many of us.

In case you’re unfamiliar, the problem with renaming sections or deleting them is that you lose ALL context for completed tasks organized within it. For example, there’s no way of knowing what a task called “Verify all functionality is working as expected/desired” refers to if the section name was used to create that clarity. Perhaps we’re all using Asana differently than it’s being used internally and we’re all just “holding it wrong” so to speak. What gives?

3 Likes