Sections are dead! Long live sections!

awesome :):heart_eyes: waiting for that das since i fall in love with asana. what a great moment … hopefully we got jackpot :smile:

@Joe_Trollo can you tell us about the progress migration progress? how many Accounts are migrated until now? Do you now how long 100% will take?

1 Like

Hi @OSTMOST, unfortunately I do not have any answers to those questions. We’ve made it through the initial beta group and are slowly making progress through the rest of our customers. However, we are being careful not to overload our systems with this migration and do not yet know how fast we can process all workspaces, so we do not have any timeline for when we will be 100% complete.

1 Like

Hi @Joe_Trollo any updates on that great feature? How many percantage of workspaces are migrated?

Is it possible for the Alto (alto.com) workspace to be selected for section migration as well? With efforts to reduce the workload on our end AND your end, we are hoping to query by section ids, rather than take all tasks in a project (decreasing band width on the Asana side).

Thanks for the consideration @Joe_Trollo !

@OSTMOST—We are still running migrations and slowly making progress through our customers’ workspaces. I am not able to share the completion percentage of the migration at this time, as our migration speed is not yet steady (for various reasons, we’ve occasionally paused the migration or changed its speed) and the percentage would imply a misleading estimate of how long the migration will last.

@rocco.haro—All workspaces will be undergoing this migration. At this phase in our rollout, we are no longer manually selecting workspaces to be migrated immediately, and instead we will have to wait until the migration process naturally makes it to your workspace. Unfortunately, this means that in the short-term you will have to fetch all tasks in a list project instead of fetching them section-by-section. We do appreciate that you’re looking for opportunities to reduce load, though!

5 Likes

@Joe_Trollo Thanks for you quick response Joe.

Is there some type of notification that will alert us that our workspace has been migrated ?

Kind regards.

@rocco.haro you will see an option in the header for switching tasks in board or list view

2 Likes

@Joe_Trollo Help us Joe! I have sold this to my company and made a huge investment and this was very important to the team. If i cant get this tool adjusted we will need to move to a more suitable management software! That only creates headaches for me…:tired_face:

@Joe_Trollo, any chance that sections will get more features such as the ability to add details or a summary or something like that? Thanks!

Hi @Will_Reade—Sorry, but I have no knowledge of any future product changes to sections.

One of my workspace have been migrated, and my “floating” tasks are now in a new list called (no section). I have no idea how to make difference between project that was already of type “board”, vs an old type list migrated to type board, except that new section. If all tasks were aready in sections, that new section doesn’t seem to be created.

Columns in a board became sections in a list, and vice versa. The only difference is that old sections that were tasks became an actual section AND a task to keep the data they hold. Does it make sense now?

1 Like

I am using the Asana API just to create tasks. I used to be able to get the Project ID & Section ID for the Membership I want the created task to belong to by using the browser. I could click the Project and get the Project ID, and click the Section to get the Section ID value from the URL. Now when I click the Section header it just expands/collapses the section. Is there still a way to get a Section ID using the browser?

There is not “vice versa”, as it was possible to create tasks in a project but not in a section (membership.section is null). Now that the migration seems to be almost over, it’s impossible to get tasks without section in a “board” project. And, for each project, there’s a new section called “(no section”), and these tasks are assigned to it. And, in the board view, this new column is the first one.

1 Like

From the Board view, each Card must live within a Section/Column. The “(no section)” column is actually the “default” Section/Column serving as a “container” to capture any new incoming tasks added to the project. The UI doesn’t support for a column to not show it’s name much like is done from the List View. This might be good #productfeedback for the team to consider in the future if you find having a Column called “(no section)” is confusing.

1 Like

Thank you for your comment.
In fact, I was not asking a question, it’s just to inform people of what happen when list projects are converted to board, a new section appear, containing all tasks that were assigned to section=null.
We noticed that all our workspaces were converted in the last few days, I suppose that their complete migration will end soon.

That is the expected behavior yes.

I don’t believe this is an indication of their progress. Let’s hope it’s done soon!

@Joe_Trollo Can you help me figure out how to correctly determine what section a task is in? Your starting message in this thread suggests that it should be in the memberships field of a task, but after adding memberships to my opt_fields list, the API gives "memberships":[{}] for all my tasks on a section-migrated project. This is using the /projects/[id]/tasks endpoint.

Hi @Brian_Victor, the opt_fields parameter operates by providing you only with the fields you’ve selected. The memberships objects have two inner fields, project and section, that you need to select, i.e., by setting opt_fields=memberships.(project|section). You can refer to our documentation for more information.