Sections are dead! Long live sections!

The product team working on this hasn’t made a final decision yet. They currently have a plan and intend to experiment with it using the first few workspaces that get migrated, and will keep/revise/replace the strategy depending on user feedback.

Hmm, OK. If they keep them, they will just be turned into regular old tasks, right?

Not necessarily—the product team is still experimenting with this.

Oy - OK - this means I currently have no idea what to do with them in the conversion routine I’m writing. I doubt your product team is thinking about third parties but the uncertainty puts us in a bind. Anyway, I’ll just have to leave them untouched for now and deal with any fallout later.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: New on Asana API: Organization Exports support

Hi all, I have an update to share about the timeline for the migration of existing customers. Internally we’ve been stress testing the migration on our own workspace and have encountered a lot of edge cases that have built up over the years (things like invalid or inconsistent data). Fixing these issues is taking significant time and so we’re now planning on migrating existing customers beginning mid- to late-July. Thank you all for your patience!

6 Likes

Hi Joe, did you make progress in cutting the edges? Will you start the migration within the next days?

Hi @OSTMOST, I have no new information from the team working on the migration, so it seems they’re still expecting to begin the migration sometime this month.

1 Like

Hello all! Today is the day! We have started to migrate select customers to the new data model! The migration is going to start small at first, migrating only a few workspaces at a time, but will ramp up as we gain confidence in the process.

5 Likes

awesome :):heart_eyes: waiting for that das since i fall in love with asana. what a great moment … hopefully we got jackpot :smile:

@Joe_Trollo can you tell us about the progress migration progress? how many Accounts are migrated until now? Do you now how long 100% will take?

1 Like

Hi @OSTMOST, unfortunately I do not have any answers to those questions. We’ve made it through the initial beta group and are slowly making progress through the rest of our customers. However, we are being careful not to overload our systems with this migration and do not yet know how fast we can process all workspaces, so we do not have any timeline for when we will be 100% complete.

1 Like

Hi @Joe_Trollo any updates on that great feature? How many percantage of workspaces are migrated?

Is it possible for the Alto (alto.com) workspace to be selected for section migration as well? With efforts to reduce the workload on our end AND your end, we are hoping to query by section ids, rather than take all tasks in a project (decreasing band width on the Asana side).

Thanks for the consideration @Joe_Trollo !

@OSTMOST—We are still running migrations and slowly making progress through our customers’ workspaces. I am not able to share the completion percentage of the migration at this time, as our migration speed is not yet steady (for various reasons, we’ve occasionally paused the migration or changed its speed) and the percentage would imply a misleading estimate of how long the migration will last.

@rocco.haro—All workspaces will be undergoing this migration. At this phase in our rollout, we are no longer manually selecting workspaces to be migrated immediately, and instead we will have to wait until the migration process naturally makes it to your workspace. Unfortunately, this means that in the short-term you will have to fetch all tasks in a list project instead of fetching them section-by-section. We do appreciate that you’re looking for opportunities to reduce load, though!

5 Likes

@Joe_Trollo Thanks for you quick response Joe.

Is there some type of notification that will alert us that our workspace has been migrated ?

Kind regards.

@rocco.haro you will see an option in the header for switching tasks in board or list view

2 Likes

@Joe_Trollo Help us Joe! I have sold this to my company and made a huge investment and this was very important to the team. If i cant get this tool adjusted we will need to move to a more suitable management software! That only creates headaches for me…:tired_face:

@Joe_Trollo, any chance that sections will get more features such as the ability to add details or a summary or something like that? Thanks!

Hi @Will_Reade—Sorry, but I have no knowledge of any future product changes to sections.