Searching for subtasks within a Project Section

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing: Im not sure this classifies as a bug, but the behavior doesn’t seem to be what I would anticipate. When I search for subtasks using the parameters in the screen shot below, I get no results. If I perform the exact same search but don’t include the Project section, I can see ALL the subtasks within a Project. Why is it that we can’t filter a search to only subtasks within a specific section?

Steps to reproduce: Create a search as shown in the images below.

Browser version: Newest versions of Chrome or Safari

Upload screenshots below:

This is the search I am trying to perform that shows no results:

This is the search I need to perform to get results (remove the section from the Project search):

… and here is evidence that the search above produces results for subtasks with the section I am trying to isolate:

Here is a view from the Project showing the Parent Task to the subtask that showed up as a result in the last image…

Subtasks are not part of the project by design, so this is not a bug but rather intended behavior… The recent update (show subtasks in list view) is confusing because it can make you think subtasks are actually part of the project.

@Bastien_Siebman - If there is no relationship between a subtasks and a project then why do subtasks show up in the this search? I understand the relationship between a project and a subtask. This particular search condition was introduced to filter this type of data though. The “bug” I am referencing is that when introducing a Section to the search it changes the results to null rather than further filtering the data.

Wow you are right, looks like subtasks now show up! Sorry, I think that is new.

Back to your question. I believe my answer might still be valid. Subtasks are not part of the project, therefor they are not part of any section, so looking specifically inside a section is not surprising that it does not return any subtask… Isn’t it?
But all of this is very confusing because subtasks are really in a grey area these days…

Actually subtasks in Advanced Search have been there for about a year and a half; see:

3 Likes

Because people complained too much probably :slight_smile: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@Bastien_Siebman I think you said it best there. The relationship between parent tasks and subtasks remain grey. In this instance, the relationship a Section has to a parent tasks isn’t acknowledged by the subtasks. It seems as though things are progressing to make these relationships known and understood by the first level subtasks. One can hope. @Marie, any potential that with the enhancements of subtasks, what I am trying to achieve might be possible?

Agree :100:

1 Like