Rules for moving through Content Production workflow (task and subtasks) with relative dates

Can you do this with rules in a subtasks?
I have a task that represents a piece of content with a subtask for Write, Review, Graphics, Publish. However, it may go back and forth between those sections/subtasks a few times. I only want to use the subtasks so multiple people can be assigned a task at the sametime for workload planning, instead of just changing the assignee at the main task level.

1. when the task is moved to Content Production project, the first subtask is assigned to me with a due date of +2days from whenever it was dual-homed into the project (added to the Write section).
  2. moving from Write to Review (or completing 1st subtask) assigns the 2nd subtask to Next Person with a due date of +1day.
  3. he moves it back to Write section, and it assigns me the 3rd subtask with a due date of +1… etc.

Is this possible? I’m not seeing how to do it except in the Task Template. And our workflow is that the main Task gets created months in advance in a Strategy project, and that’s where I’m currently creating the subtasks. If I create the subtasks when it moves to Content Production project, I need a trigger that can only happen ONE time max and never run again, because otherwise the subtasks keep getting recreated. Thoughts?

Hi @Heather_Beaudoin ,

Welcome to the forum! Based on your description, this definitely sounds possible with a combination of rules and custom fields (indeed, this is similar to a workflow my team uses). Generally speaking, if you want to have a rule that runs at most one time on a task, you’ll want to create a custom single-select field with one option (basically a checkbox). Then, your rule will have a condition that checks for that checkbox field and only runs if the value is not checked. As an example, it might look something like this:

To accomplish your other objectives, because rules can run on subtasks, you could consider using dependencies + custom fields to say when the review is no longer blocked by a predecessor (write), assign it to someone and set the due date to 1 day after it got unblocked. Then, when re-write is no longer blocked by a predecessor (review), assign and set due date.

The caveat to this approach is that you’ll need to have your subtask list created in one fell swoop in the first rule, as subtasks cannot create other subtasks on the same parent (i.e. they can create main tasks or subtasks of themselves).

1 Like