Resource Planning with Everhour and Workload

Our company is considering making the switch to Asana and are currently trying it out. We’ve opted to use the Everhour integration for time tracking and estimations, but in order to use the Workload feature for forward resource planning, Asana requires a new custom field for Estimated Hours. Does anyone have a workaround for this? Is Everhour planning to integrate into Asana’s Workload feature any time soon? This is something very important to our team and it’s difficult to understand why Workload can’t pull estimated times on tasks for each assignee.

1 Like

Is everhour able to fill a custom field with data? I never used it.

Yes, but using Asana’s custom field instead eliminates the ability to utilize Everhour’s built-in time tracker & estimation within Asana. We’re trying to figure out a way for them to sync with each other.
https://support.everhour.com/article/183-making-reports-with-custom-fields

2 Likes

Hi Bailey, curious if you’ve found a solution. We’re looking for the same set-up

2 Likes

@Glenn_van_der_Plaat We basically created our own solution by having one of our company’s developers use the APIs to sync our custom field in Asana to our Everhour estimates. This has worked well for us, as it automatically adjusts our custom field when we add an estimate, allowing us to resource plan with the Workload view.

4 Likes

Hello @anon28788251 that’s awesome! Are you able to share the code? Because we want to do the same for our team. Thank you for your reply.

1 Like

Can you share the code?

@anon28788251 that’s great! Would be awesome if you can share?

1 Like

Hi, this is something I am also looking at.

Could you be able to clarify are you talking about the “effort” Custom Field? In this screenshot, that field was added by Asana when I added this project to a Portfolio. So I had thought that I’d need to get the Everhour “estimate” field’s data to write into the “Effort” Custom Field in Asana, to get the Workload to sync with the actual Everhour data. Is that how you did this?

Also, could any of you confirm what I also point out below, that Everhour won’t show its estimate in the list view, but rather rollups of that in the Section or Task summaries?

Also if anybody could advise on this issue I’d be grateful: I have users who work in multiple teams however. So one roadblock I have come up against is that if I want to see a true Workload across all of Asana, Portfolios are not sufficient as they limit to just what projects I have in one. Unless I create a “placeholder” Portfolio for all projects in Asana, but that’s a workaround I’d rather avoid. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

I second a vote here to share the code. That would be greatly appreciated and a very kind gesture to the Asana community :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi All,

Waclaw is here from Everhour. Let me shed light on this and share our future plans.

We can sync your fields as estimates to Everhour, please read the articled posted above by @Fiona_Campbell , thanks a lot for sharing it.

To the question whether we can sync with Workload: a lot of users expected from us to show not just an estimate, but a field where you can track time there. Unfortunately, it is a very challenging task from the technical side of things. Therefore, we decided to build another type of sync.

You may know our Schedule which flaw is that we can’t sync it with Asana. We are working on the new app called Timeline which will be able to sync Asana task assignees, start and end dates of a task and a task estimate. Then it will flow in our Timeline as an assignment.

The ETA is Q1 of this year.

1 Like

Hello @Waclaw_Wolodko - Any update on when the Timeline App will be available? Thanks!

Working on it, perhaps this-next month will be the release day.

5 Likes

Hi Waclaw, Any update on when this will be available?
Thank you,
Alexis

Hi Waclaw, we’re excited about Timeline - any news?

Hi all,

Thanks for taking in interest in this feature and asking about it. It has been released but available only internally for our team. There are some tweaks appeared on the go we would love to add before making it public.

If everything goes smooth, we plan to introduce Timeline in September.

2 Likes

Hi @Waclaw_Wolodko,

How can we manage the employee daily workloads using Timeline app (estimated hours vs daily capacity).

So that we can replace Asana Workload feature, that does not take into account Everhour estimated hours (instead, it uses custom fields).

Hi,

Our timeline does not aim at replacing the Asana workload, as it does not include such parameter as capacity. Instead, it aims at showing a simple comparison of time spent vs. planned on a single task and resembles the Asana project timeline feature. With an exception of showing assignments of a user across all projects.

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Do you plan to solve the issue with Asana Workload and integrate Everhour estimates and tracked time there?