Request Project setup (access and privileges)

We’ve been using an Asana project for intake (via form) and management of creative requests. It’s been great and for the most part it’s optimized and runs very smoothly. The one weakness is how we have it set up for permissions and access. Our requestors are a mix of everyday requestors within our Marketing team, less frequent requestors on adjacent teams and infrequent/one-off requestors from more distant business departments or people outside of the company. Ultimately I want my team (and close relatives) to be able to see our full queue and action on it but for more distant requestors I just want them to have access to only their requests in the most frictionless way possible. Curious how others set up this kind of project/system. Thanks!

Hi,

You can either multi-home their requests in a project they have access to (and not having access to the main project).

You can also place them as collaborators on the tasks, while keeping the main project private: they will be able to find the tasks using the search but they won’t have any list anywhere (a saved search could do the trick).

What do you think?

3 Likes

Hi @Crompsy!

I thought I’d share a method to organize individual requests.

So if you have several clients, you can assign a different client code and Asana project to each one of them. You’ll need to set these up before the following.

Then revise your form to include a “Requested by” field using a single line text block. Also, add a custom field to your project with the same title, in this case, “Requested by”.

Then connect to Flowsana, create a new workflow, and choose “Rule workflow”.
Next, click on “create a new rule”.
Next, select the current project that uses this job request form.
In the resulting list, click “has custom field set to…”
Then choose, “Requested by” and set the value to your customer’s code.
Then under the “Select the resulting action for the rule (“Then…”):”, choose “move it to project…”
Select the client’s project name and the appropriate column (like maybe, “pending”)
Then click on the “Put selected project under Flowsana project control” button to activate the rule.

Now when they submit task requests via your form, ask them to use their client code when answering the “Requested by” field. This should allow the system to filter their submissions into the clients project, where you can invite them and give them limited authority (comment only) and they can view all their requests at once.

Let me know if it works for you.

3 Likes

Hi @Crompsy,

I am also in a marketing team and we have an identical use case for our design team. Our approach is, like Bastien suggested, users external to marketing, after submission, they get added as Collaborators to the task.

So the marketing team has full access to the project, the requestors external to marketing they only have access to their task, which is ultimately all they need.

We haven’t had to date the need to create an additional separate list of tasks (additional projects or advanced searches), we have been using the same approach for about 5 years now, before Forms was a native function, we were using the Wufoo API connection.

Often, after we add them as collaborators they will, on their own, multi-home their task into their relevant project of choice. If you are receiving requests from people external to marketing asking ‚where is my task‘; you might want to consider using the Form‘s „submission successful“ message to coach them into the right behaviour, i.e. something in the lines of:

Thank you for your submission, after the team reviews your request, you will be added as Collaborator to the task. We suggest multi-homing the task into your project of choice for quick and in-context reference.

Cheers,
Rosario

3 Likes

:smiling_face: Thanks to everyone for the answers. It’s great to get your thoughts on this. It sounds like we all take a similar approach––the the suggestion from Rosario to add that little bit of extra detail to the submission successful message is particularly helpful––it’s a little thing but it answers some potential questions before they come! Thanks for all of your time!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.