Rename attachments

same here, it turns too tedious to just past a screen capture, you need to save it to a file and then upload, with ctrl+V it just gets named as image.png and you cannot later rename the image.

Also it would be nice that the images could be embedded in the comments/descriptions

3 Likes

We would need this too … can’t be so hard, right?

2 Likes

Apparently it is so hard to do.
This is up for 3 years and we can’t rename pasted screenshots. :pensive:

Started working in Asana this week and we are already missing this feature.

3 Likes

I agree 100% renaming photos should an inline process.

I agree, this feature is absolutely necessary, please make this feature happen sooner than later.

4 years later and no ability to rename attachments…?

There needs to be an option to simply rename files that are uploaded to Asana.

Currently you have to:
Download the attachment, delete the original from asana, locally rename the file, and reupload it.
This is not an acceptable practice.

1 Like

Hey @Jeff_Lindahl
I recommend upvoting on this existing thread: Rename attachments

1 Like

For our R&D and design projects, all our tasks contain images, pasted mostly from the clipboard.
Infortunately, all images in a project have the same name: image.png. This makes it very hard to refer or to find images, and I cannot find an option to rename these.
How to rename pasted images please. If this option does not exist, can it be added. That would be such a great option. Thanks, Gerard

It does not @Gerard_Boterman1

Best practice with any image upload to any platform is to rename first.

In design (CAD) most images are screen-grab, so these are not uploaded or stored as file on the computer.

Hi @Gerard_Boterman1, while this feature isn’t available at this time, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

Thank Rebecca,

I have added this to my book marks. I assume enhancements are made all the time? If so, is there a way to get notified about these e.g. by email subscription?

kind regards, Gerard

Rex Bionics logo.JPG

In a Japanese thread 添付データ名称の文字数制限を緩和してほしい (Request to allow longer attachment names), I learned that the attachment name limit is 260 characters (or less when we use Japanese full-width characters).
If the attachment exceeds the limit, we can still upload it, but we can’t view or download the file.

Of course, the ideal scenario would be that attachments with longer names can be used in the future, but I found this feature request and upvoted it because it can be a quicker workaround for non-viewable and non-downloadable attachmets.

Update Dec 1, 2022: I heard that the “not downloadable” issue was an error and was fixed. It’d be still helpful to have the ability to rename attachments though.

1 Like

Yes this is a much needed feature - how are we looking?

Hi all,

Asana has been a great tool for me to organize files and attachments, but I have noticed that once they are uploaded there is not an option to rename them. I have to manually download the attachment, rename it on my desktop, and re-upload it to Asana. I would like to see a rename button added as a feature in the future.

Thanks,

Grayson

Welcome to the Asana Community Forum @anon75366371!
I have merged your post with an existing feedback request thread. Don‘t forget to upvote :slight_smile:

1 Like

Checking in on this one - it’s been almost a year and still no movement. This seems it should be an easy, easy fix to make and would make searching through attachments in tasks so much easier…Why can’t we get this moving?

I, too, came looking to see if this feature is possible. Another use case: You’re adding a file from an external source, and want the display name to be more informative than the file name. We just moved from Planner, and while Asana is SOOOOO much better than Planner was, at least with Planner we could have a different file display name than the actual file name. It can’t be that difficult, can it?