Remove Upgrade button & Orange banner

I downgraded my plan because I didn’t have enough clients to support a paid plan. But I’m totally embarrassed by the fact that a new client who is a collaborator (not a team member) see this message “your asana organization is no longer premium.” It is my opinion that this message should only be visible to administrators and maybe team members but definitely NOT to collaborators.

It’s private billing info being shared with people outside the team. And, it’s in poor taste. It appears to be a shaming method to get administrators to upgrade. This has definitely put a poor taste in my mouth when it comes to Asana.

While I agree with you that this information should really only appear to admin/or when triggered by trying to access a feature locked behind premium, I don’t think they are attempting to “shame” people. If you are using a service for free, you have to expect some form of advertising. They are a company and they need to make money. Every free service I have ever used has had some form of “upgrade for more features” permabanner. Asana’s is pretty unobtrusive from my experience prior to upgrading to business, but YMMV. I doubt other platforms are free of the same upsell techniques.

It’s also not sharing private billing info. Is the collaborator getting your credit card information? No. Generally speaking, data protection laws cover PII and account status in this case does not qualify. I think understanding intent is important here, and their goal is to be a profitable company that provides a valuable service. Sharing billing information would be illegal. Proper word selection is important here.

But, I will second the suggestion of not having that notification show up to non-admin/outside of triggered events.

I understand being in business. Using the phrase “is no longer premium” has a more derogatory connotation than if the phrase ‘free plan’ had been used.

Thanks for suggesting to change the visibility.

1 Like

I truly don’t know why my issue was merged with this one. I’m addressing branding as a paid customer, not upgrade notices. Asana is making things more and more challenging to deal with.

2 Likes

really annoying, for those who pay there must not be these banners and visible items

Hi All,

I recommend using the ‘User JavaScript and CSS’ extension for Google Chrome, which you can download from the Chrome webstore here https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-javascript-and-css/nbhcbdghjpllgmfilhnhkllmkecfmpld?hl=en.

Click ‘Add rules for this page’ and, if you’re a free user (I recently downgraded) add the CSS snippet below:

.TopbarContingentUpgradeButton-button:not(.Button--disabled){
	display:none;
}

Once done, you can continue using Asana as usual but you’ll never see the Upgrade button. The same process should work for all over tiers of accounts, though you may need to tweak the CSS.

Should take about 30 seconds.

Best
Stuart

Hello

I understand why you show new features in Asana that are not available on my package but would love to be able to switch this off for users, don’t mind as admin seeing it but as it is already so hard to train people and accept change.

A lot of time they already so overwhelmed with all the updates and changes to all their cloud services showing them a button they will never use just make my job of getting the users to uses the features that are available to them.

i.e Portfolio’s, Forms and Upgrade Button

2 Likes

I must agree. Because Asana is built on a team subscription basis, it doesn’t make sense to advertise features to users who have no buying power. If Asana offered single seat subscriptions, it would make sense to push these to individual users.
Perhaps Asana is banking on the idea that if enough employees request upgrades to their admins companies will, but I would hope that’s not their mindset.

1 Like

Please remove your ads from forms.

2 Likes

There are existing threads on the topic :+1: Probably Remove Upgrade button & Orange banner

1 Like

Isn’t that the thread you just posted in…?

I think my message was moved along with the previous answer from another thread :slight_smile: @moderators can you delete both my message and @TylerNow maybe?

1 Like

Hiya - any update on this matter? Please remove the upgrade options for paying customers. We will upgrade when necessary. How many complaints do you need? It has been three years since this thread was started.

4 Likes

I agree, on a Premium plan, the Upgrade buttona attracts “a little more” attention than on the Basic plan. I literally can’t stop looking at this gorgeous button :slight_smile:

Premium
12.05.2020- 2.21.44
vs Basic
12.05.2020- 2.26.41

Excellent work of the designer, beautiful color, maximum contrast with the rest of the interface :slight_smile:

1 Like

Totally agreed with everyone else on this thread. If we’re paying for a premium product, we should super NOT have advertising asking us to upgrade further plastered on every page. The portfolios feature should not appear in the left navigation, either.

2 Likes

Very disappointed that there is not option to remove “Upgrade” button and “Portfolio” sidebar feature from Asana of all my team members. We are paying customers. We’ve decided which product we wanted and we don’t want the business plan. Instead try to promote and market the business plan in an email to your users every month or so.

We are on the Premium version of Asana and at this time do not plan on upgrading; however, we lose screen real estate with features we can’t use (e.g. Portfolios and Goals).

It would be good if there was a user level or workplace level feature where you can hide features which your subscription does not allow access.

1 Like

Hi @Benjamin_Ragan and thanks for sharing your feedback. I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with another thread we have on the same topic to consolidate all feedback. I’ll make sure to follow up when I have an update on this topic!

Hi @Marie - you can keep merging all posts, but this thread is started over 3 years ago. Why is Asana not fixing this?

We premium (paying!) customers keep on looking at that horrible Upgrade button, and worse, more elements (portfolios, goals) are being added that have absolutely no value to us.

Why is Asana doing this? Why bother paying users that have no reason to upgrade with those things? We don’t need the business features (really, we actually truly don’t need them), so why keep on doing this? I feel I would be a bigger advocate for your software if it weren’t for these kind of things.