Recurring tasks show as "Recently Assigned" in My Tasks

It used to be when I completed a recurring task, it would show up in Upcoming or Later (depending on how far into the future it was set to repeat). Now, it is showing in my “Recently Assigned.” I contacted support and apparently this is not something I can do with the new triggers that replaced the automated behavior before. I would like to request that this be updated so you can still have them be appropriately categorized when completed instead of having to manually organize them each time.

Thanks!

3 Likes

@Raina,

This has been promised already in:

in response to:

Larry

4 Likes

Guys - this recently assigned section is not needed at all - actually it is confusing and I cannot remove it. Please do something - this was a very bad idea of ‘improvement’.

3 Likes

@Lisa_Sammer,

I’m afraid it’s unlikely that Asana will make what would be a major change to allow you to remove Recently assigned because it’s tied to other behavior in the app. But you can rename it and you can move it.

You may appreciate having a look at a comprehensive My Tasks article I published today which offers helpful clarifications and alternative approaches. Here’s my Forum post that introduces it:

Thanks,

Larry

2 Likes

I don’t see anything in that article about recurring tasks except for the promise of a fix, mentioned already in this thread. Am I missing something?

1 Like

Scott,

You’re correct.

My first reply in this thread was to the topic/original post so no, you’re not missing anything.

My second reply was in response specifically to this post above:

Thanks,

Larry

Hi Larry,
The setup of my tasks section in combination with recurring tasks is heavily impacting my workflow as it stood; and does not help at all.
Indeed my account was switched today, and I am now contemplatinng moving parts of my workflow into Notion.
Really sorry to see something go into effect which appears to be influencing so many workflows for so many people.
Best,
Tobias

@Tobias_Baumann, You addressed your comment to me, but not sure why; in case it’s not clear I’m not an Asana employee, just an Asana consultant (who wrote an article trying to share ideas about managing with the new My Tasks). I sympathize and feel that it was unfortunate for Asana to release something with widespread negative impacts that they fully intend to repair soon; it’s not always a good idea to release early–only when it’s viable.

Thanks,

Larry

2 Likes

My team relies HEAVILY on recurring tasks and part of onboarding was to have each person set up the “hack” for “Recurring Tasks in Later”.

Now, this is broken. We need this fixed ASAP.

3 Likes

With the redesign of My Tasks, completing a recurring task now causes its next instance of the task to appear in “New Tasks” - right at the top of my workflow. Whereas it used to appear in Later (or Upcoming or Today where that was appropriate). It creates huge double handling especially with the now much more clumsy movement between sections in My Tasks

Hi @Russell_Williams,

This is a known issue and Asana has said it will be addressed; see this post:

The relevant portion is:

it’s currently not possible to automatically move recurring tasks from the Recently assigned section to Later. We are planning to add this as a fast follow, I’ll post an update here once we have more details about this option!

2 Likes

How can I use rules to replicate the behavior of the hack “Recurring Tasks in Later” ?

Hi @Bunty_SomRoy, as it stands, it’s currently not possible to replicate the “Recurring tasks in Later” hack. Our team is working on a solution for this and we hope to have news soon!

3 Likes

The whole “Recently Assigned” section should be removed entirely or optional. I’m not sure what workflow this would be helpful, especially since tasks in this section don’t also appear in the "today, this week, or later sections they should be in? I was setting up a really promising workflow for our team centered around automated recurring tasks and a new workflow for assigning tasks at meetings, then everyone would use My Tasks to see their daily and weekly assignments. But now I’m not sure if this is workable at all with the Recently Assigned section existing.

1 Like

I wish the My Tasks section on desktop operated more like the mobile app does – just displaying tasks in order of due date. The whole Recently Assigned section makes ‘my tasks’ significantly less useful on desktop and it’s really confusing that it can’t be deleted. It’s also entirely unclear how tasks in this section will behave. Are they going to be there until they’re moved manually? Are they going to go into the appropriate sections (today, this week, later) after 24 hours or something? Really no explanation for why this section exists.

I’m now considering ways to hack the workflow using scheduled Zapier zaps, but I would really prefer to only use Asana’s built-in features.

2 Likes

Until just a few days ago, if I marked a daily recurring task Complete, the duplicate task automatically reproduced in my Later section and then moved to Today the next day. As of a few days ago, the recurring task automatically appears in Recently Assigned. ALSO, if I mark those tasks as Upcoming or Later, they do not move back to my Today category when the day comes. They used to do this automatically.

Browser version: Have noticed in both Chrome (Version 90.0.4430.212) and iOS app

1 Like

Hi @Kyle_Vanover, welcome to the Asana Community Forum! This is currently working as expected and is due to the updates in My Tasks. Our team is working on a solution so you can replicate this behaviour in the new My Tasks, we will update the product feedback thread as soon as we have any updates. Thanks for your feedback!

Hi, in the new “My Tasks” interface, when I mark a recurring task as complete, it goes to the “New” section (was “newly assigned” I believe before I renamed it).

Any way to send it automatically to the “Upcoming” section? I looked at the rules but couldn’t find a way. Thanks

1 Like

Hi,

That is a known situation, with an existing thread I believe, @lpb should be able to point you in the right direction.

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, @Patrick.EMIN! Our team is working on a solution to this and we hope to have news soon. In the meantime, I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main feedback thread to consolidate feedback.

1 Like