Recurring Tasks on certain day/week of month not the actual day

Iā€™ll add my support to the feature request. Iā€™m sure there is some kind of blockage making it hard to implement, or perhaps other features are more important at this moment in time. Either way, weā€™d find it very helpful for a number of our recurring tasks.

1 Like

Standard practice here.

1 Like

Hi Asana product legends

Background
I have many recurring tasks that need to be completed monthly. Currently the option available for monthly recurring tasks is solely to select the numerical day of the month for the due date of the task, e.g. always recur on 3rd day of the month or always recur on the 7th day of the month.

Complication
I plan my week around the calendar days not the numerical day of the month. So, recurring on a specific numerical day of the month means that Iā€™m forever having to update tasks to reflect the right actual day of the week that theyā€™re due.

E.g. a task due on day 3 of August 2021 was a Tuesday but on day 3 of September thatā€™s a Friday.

Request
Introduce an option for recurring due dates to fall on a certain day of the month.
E.g. first Friday of the month, second Wednesday of the month, etc.

4 Likes

Yes, I have wished I could do this too.

2 Likes

@Julian_Rapattoni I hear you. I really hope this is addressed as it goes against the Asana motto ā€œLess work about workā€. It creates more work about work.

3 Likes

Hi @Julian_Rapattoni, thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback!

We do have an existing request for this feature already in the forum so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback, I hope you donā€™t mind!

This is a very popular request so I do hope this is something our Product team can implement in the near future. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll keep you posted!

2 Likes

Asana is:

1. Great at merging threads all asking for the same thing, and
  2. Terrible at actually doing the thing that all the threads are asking for.
7 Likes

Yikes this thread is from 2017! Blast from the past.

1 Like

Accurate summary.

1 Like

Asana scheduling tasks for repeating events is nice, but it would be great to have anything that comes up on a weekend move to the next business day.
Please consider letting people set their work days and then have Asana work around when a team is actually working.

If we have people set to work Saturdays, OK. But if a task falls on a Saturday for someone whoā€™s not working it would be nice to have that task automatically moved to Monday.

4 Likes

Hi @lilrkt. thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback!

We do have an existing request for this feature already in the forum so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback, I hope you donā€™t mind!

This is a very popular request so I do hope this is something our Product team can implement in the near future. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll keep you posted!

Add my name to list on inquiries on this please. Really need this feature. Also, the ability to schedule # of days before the next task, not including weekends. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi, just wanted to say that I really, really want this feature. Like it hurts having to go through my tasks I set due at the first of the month and reset them to when they should be for the month, every month.
So, seeing these posts from the staff, which I want to emphasize I think are wonderful, where they talk about keeping us posted, get a reactive response of frustration and anger from me. There was no update between those screenshot posts. So itā€™s reasons like that, that anytime I see staff say something about giving an update, I donā€™t believe them. I have seen it twice since I have joined the Asana forums in the last year. Only when people were VERY upset, like the recurring tasks coming up at the top as a recently assigned task with the new my tasks update. I donā€™t say this to make staff feel bad, again I think yā€™all are great and the way yā€™all deal with some of the responses while still providing useful information is really nice! This is a very homey forum for being as big as Asana is and I think itā€™s cool. I just donā€™t believe it when I hear things related to getting timeline updates from staff, so when Iā€™m told that I feel this way.
Two ways I would ask Asana to deal with this -

1. PLEASE GIVE UPDATES, PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. I want them so bad, Iā€™m begging you, it would be great.
  2. Donā€™t say youā€™ll give updates or anything related :frowning:

Not sure what caused me to type out what I am sure other people see and feel, but it felt kinda nice I guess.
Thank you for your time.

7 Likes

I was just introduced to Asana as one of the best tools out there for managing work and am disappointed that the ability to schedule monthly based on day of week / week of month is not an option. We have many repeating tasks that are based on the ā€œFirst Friday of the Monthā€ or ā€œSecond Monday of the Monthā€. Like someone else here, Iā€™m tempted to keep those in google calendar, but then I donā€™t have my tasks in one place.
Weā€™re all looking forward to this feature!

2 Likes

When scheduling recurring tasks, it would be helpful to have an option for ā€˜the first Monday of the monthā€™ or ā€˜the second Wednesday of the monthā€™ or ā€˜the last Friday of the monthā€™ and so on.

Right now you can only pick options such as the 6th of the month which changes from month to month and doesnā€™t help with solid scheduling.

4 Likes

Hi @Mikaela_Bailey and welcome to the forum,

See this Product Feedback request and be sure to upvote it:

2 Likes

Years and years worth of frustration in this thread, thatā€™s not a great sign.

@Rebecca_McGrath can we at least get an answer on whether or not it will actually be worked on? Acknowledging itā€™s a very popular request is great but if it is so popular, at least let us know something. If it wonā€™t be worked on, fine, we can all move on. If it will but there are other more important things, again fine at least we know itā€™s on the table.

Giving us bad news is not as bad as giving us no news at all.

5 Likes

I agree, scheduling a task for the first Wednesday of every month would be a good feature to have.

1 Like

I also agree with this feature. Several meetings repeat in a specific day of week of the month and since 2017 Asana just offers to pick only a specific day of the month to set up the recurring events. Are five years not enough time to figure this out?

3 Likes

Just adding a voice - canā€™t believe how long this feature has been requested for and not implemented.

6 Likes