Recurring Tasks & Custom Statuses

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
When we mark a recurring task complete a rule then updates the status of the task to “complete”. When the recurring task recreates the new task for the next stated period the status will show as “complete”, and the task is not marked complete. We will then have to manually update the status to “Not Started”
Steps to reproduce:
Simply mark a task complete. For some tasks it does not occur at all. But certain tasks it is a recurring theme. I tried recreating the recurring task and it did not solve the problem.
Browser version:
Chrome: Version 90.0.4430.85 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Upload screenshots below:
Prior recurring task change log

Hi @Anthony_Mirafiore, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

This feature is currently working as expected. As the task is, in essence, duplicated, all fields on the new task will remain as they were when the task was completed.

In this case, I would suggest creating another Rule similar to the one I’ve listed below:

Trigger: +Task added to project
Actions: Set Status field to “Incomplete”

This means that each new recurring task will be marked with an incomplete field.

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t see it documented anywhere in the Guide but I recall that tasks created as a result of a recurring task’s recurrence do not fire rule triggers. And I just tested that and confirmed; the rule doesn’t run (or doesn’t work) to change a status for a recurrence added though it does work for non-recurring task manually added. I guess it’s a little like a rule not firing as a result of another rule having fired.

So I don’t think @Rebecca_McGrath’s suggestion is an option.

My best practice recommendation is never to use a custom field with a value of Complete because it’s redundant with the completion state of the task.

Larry

1 Like

I actually have that same exact rule active in the project that I am storing these recurring tasks in. It still continues to persist.
Capture

Fair point. Often times the solution is not to add but to remove. I like that.

1 Like

@lpb is spot on here - having tested this I can confirm that tasks created as a result of a recurring task’s recurrence do not fire rule triggers! Unfortunately, my suggestion will not work in this case.

Apologies about this, @Anthony_Mirafiore! I second @lpb point here on not using “Complete” field as this is the purpose of marking a task complete! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.