Push Notifications at 'Due Time'

This is so basic and yet frustating to see Asana couldn’t deliver. I have a schedule everyday to post content to social media, having a due time and get push notification will remind me to check into the task and perform action necessary. Without this feature, I have to rely on other platform such as todoit or wunderlist (and it’s extra work to sync those tasks). +1 for this feature badly.

11 Likes

+1. This is really a necessity for a task management app.

5 Likes

April 2017 - March 2018 - 100+ comments - still my mind is boggled that setting a due time does nothing more than offer you to look at it.

In my attempts of making notifications work, having to revert to Zapier integrations is crazy. Come on Asana! Let’s get some desktop push notifications going. Can’t have due times set without appropriate actions along with it. Like integrating pizza delivery while not receiving it at your doorstep,

10 Likes

Yeah, would be even better to have notifications at Task Start time… if they had a Start Time at first place. Hope the development is going in that direction

1 Like

I really would like to know when you are going to integrate task start times, end times and alerts into the calendar syncs. Now I only see a bunch of all day taks? The Asana Outlook sync is now completely useless to our company!

1 Like

I need push notification at due time!

I cant believe the Premium package my company pays for doesn’t have this function.

3 Likes

perhaps Asana cant get it developed because they keep missing deadlines, hence no notifications. its the chicken or the egg problem :wink:

4 Likes

I also need push notifications. We are switching over form trello and that is the number one complaint thus far. We would like to have sound/banner notifications similar to trello. Otherwise, those who do not have asana open are not notified like they had been with trello.

2 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Alex Ryan and I’m an engineer at Asana. I’m here to help explain why we haven’t made this feature yet.

Right away I want to say that we hear your feature request loud and clear. We all use Asana ourselves every day, and this is a great product opportunity that we’ve been aware of for a while.

So the reason we haven’t built it is not that we haven’t thought of it, it’s that it’s actually really hard. Partly because it’s a surprisingly complex problem in general, and partly because of technical decisions we made in the past. Last year one of our engineers wrote a 3,000-word technical design document about how we could send notifications for due times, and it was circulated internally and reviewed by some very bright engineers. We have LOTS of tasks about it.

To be entirely candid, we don’t have a team actively building this right now. I know that’s not what you want to hear and I wish I could say we did, but the truth is we have a finite number of engineers and each quarter we have to make really tough decisions about what’s going to get built and what isn’t. So far, in part because of the disproportionate amount of work it would require, this hasn’t been the most leveraged thing we can put our engineers to work on.

You can rest assured that we’re always listening to your feedback, even when we aren’t acting on it right away :yum:. I wish I had better news to share, but we will get there eventually (and in the meantime, there have been some really clever workarounds in this thread!)

21 Likes

Thanks so much @Alex_Ryan for the insights! :heart:

3 Likes

Thanks for letting us know, Alex. It’s always good to hear from developers directly with an honest message.

When it does get implemented, I just want to add that it would be good to get Chrome pop-up notifications, even when the Asana page is closed. As well as notifications on Android.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Exactly the same issues for me!!! I guess it’s back to google tasks…herrrumpf

1 Like

Agreed! Need asap please. Really need better fine detail (granular) options in push notifications and calendar sync that’s not totally manual project by project.

2 Likes

Ps. The fact that I can get notifications about new comments on this feature request thread (I think that’s how I’m reading it) but not notifications on time set task due dates/times underscores how there isn’t always great thought on basic expected features (unless I’m reading this wrong or the feature already exists and maybe I don’t understand how to make it happen)

5 Likes

Has there been an official response from Asana on this in this thread? I’m scrolling but not seeing one. I did see a response from a similar Nov 2017 post but not yet seeing one on this thread (didn’t scroll too far down — but thought it would be pinned towards the top if there was one from someone on Asana team

3 Likes

@Logan_Hale you can be sure that the product team is aware of this thread, they are watching the community but don’t always comment :wink:

2 Likes

I am exactly in your mindset on this!

1 Like

I am making a decision on a personal and business management system this week. I’ve been researching options for months. If THIS is the cream of the crop I wish I had the interest enough to build an app that serves real solopreneurs and not only the tech elite teams in SF…(no harm intended). There HAS TO be a better way to keep on top of our super busy lives!? Surely?

4 Likes

Thank you, @Alex_Ryan, for the honesty! It’s refreshing to see that one does get answers from Asana once in a while.

Still, it is hard for me to understand how it is possible for some people to build small workarounds (while probably having some other job on the side), but not possible for Asana’s engineers to solve this within a few months (this was raised a year ago and I bet you thought of it before that already). Maybe also try a workaround if you made technical decisions in the past that now block the obvious solution? Maybe then you can close the LOTS of tasks you have about this. :wink:

3 Likes

Software development is hard, you have to deal with users expectations while following your own roadmap. Even when working in Agile mode, it is not always possible to squeeze in a request, and you end up developing it much much later because there are more important things to do. @Gordon_Montgomery I think Asana is amazing once you take the time to explore it, and can fit almost any process.