Protect Sections

To avoid someone remove/modify sections accidentally, can we protect section?

Ex. Can’t modify section or show a confirmation page before modify section.

1 Like

That would be a great feature! But I assume that sections - being essentially tasks - cannot be protected in the way you describe.

In projects with a Boards Layout you have this kind of protection by using column names. I assume you mean the List layout.

1 Like

Hi @Calvin_Wu

You can’t protect anything that’s public to your team, but if these are sections that you tend to reuse again and again, I’d recommend saving the project as a template. That way, everyone starts with the same version and if someone accidentally deletes something, they can go back to the template and copy the missing sections over.

I agree, though, it would be really handy if certain sections were read-only.

2 Likes

@Ulli, Yes the accident happened in our project which use List layout. Boards Layout may be a solution~ Is there any way to convert an List layout project to boards layout project?

@Mark_Hudson, Thanks for the reply~ However, when the accident happened, our problem is, there are too much task be mixed together. It’s hard to add section back to the correct position.

For example,
TODO section:
100 tasks…
Backlog section:
100 tasks…

When “Backlog section” been deleted accidentally, it’s hard to know which tasks were in Backlog section and which were in TODO. All 200 tasks going to TODO sections.

Oh, I see what you mean. That does sound a bit more complicated than I’d thought.

You can’t convert a list to a board with one click (although I think that feature is coming soon), but here’s a workaround:

• Create a board view project with the same title as the list version - maybe put (board) after it to distinguish them.
  • Go into the list version and select all tasks by clicking the top one, holding down shift and clicking the last one.
  • In the task pane, hover over the project title and click on the plus sign. Start typing the title of the board version of your project, then select it from the suggested list.
  • All tasks will now sit in both projects, and any changes you make in one will be mirrored in the other.
  • Now for the boring part. Go into the board version and you’ll see that all of the tasks are in the first column. You have to manually create all of the required columns, then drag all the tasks across into the right places.

It’s not ideal, but it’s quicker than recreating the project from nothing.

2 Likes

@Mark_Hudson Thank you very much for the answer~ :slight_smile:

1 Like