Project Upload: set start and end date

Have been searching the forums for a good chunk today, but can’t find what I exactly need. Working to upload a larger project with pre-determined dates in the excel file, and want them the dates to carry over to the project in Asana with the dates set on tasks. So far all that I have done, the dates are only added as a note in the task description.

What am I missing in the upload when assigning fields that allows for dates to be added to the task.

Sorry if this has been covered, just didn’t see this covered specifically somewhere.

Hi @Jeff_Bonneau :wave: Thank you for reaching out.

Just to clarify, Start dates are an Asana Premium feature and if you are trying to import a Project in a Free Workspace the start date column will appear in the task description.

You can find more information about Importing a Project in this Guide article: Asana CSV Importer • Asana Product Guide

Could you please confirm if this is your case?

I am a paid Premium customer @Natalia I have no issues uploading projects, but with 200+ activities, I would rather upload than have to select the dates.

Thank you for the quick follow-up @Jeff_Bonneau and I completely understand what you mean.

I have one more question: could you please check if your date columns are formatted in the standard US date format of month/day/year? This is an important tip to be able to import successfully.

In case this doesn’t work, I would recommend reaching out directly to our Support Team, who will be in a better position to assist you with this. You can reach out to them following these steps. When you do, make sure to share the URL of this thread to save yourself from explain everything again and to provide a screenshot of how you are mapping your spreadsheet.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

1 Like

Hi @Natalia while looking at the link provided previously, realized the error. The dates had abbreviated days (Mon, Tue) in them, and was breaking the upload. Removed and worked like a charm. Thanks for providing that link!

1 Like

Glad to hear it worked! :clap::clap::clap: Always happy to help!

Have a great Thursday!