Project templates V2: what we gain, what we lose

It’s also worth mentioning the UX in general too. The user experience is a lot more cumbersome and time intensive. The fact that you have to drill into each task, then again if there are subtasks, is quite annoying and clunky. There should be a right-side pane for the task details, like a regular project, to make it quicker to edit tasks without losing your place within the overall template.

I had to go through 100s of tasks and subtasks (and subtasks of subtasks) to manually remove collaborators from every task. That took forever, and I often lost my spot, because I couldn’t remember where I was within the project.

I don’t understand why each task (within a template) needs to have its own “modal-like” interface/screen. Then, to close it (to navigate to another task), you have to either click “Done” or the little “X” icon. Too much interaction is required. Not to mention that having an X (close) button and a “Done” button that do the same thing is a little confusing. Which one do I need to click? They both do the same thing…

7 Likes

You’re not answering my question. Is this new forced migration going to STOP
the people in the field within my company from being able to view or edit asana?

You’re not answering my question. Is this new forced migration going to STOP
the people in the field within my company from being able to view or edit asana
on the Mobile APP??

@Masa_Hagiwara, you provided the original point to @Bastien_Siebman. Do you have any other information that would be helpful here?

Both @Masa_Hagiwara and @Bastien_Siebman answered it quite clearly.

2 Likes

You say won’t allow reading or editing a Template.
I’m asking if they will be able to read or edit a job that is already
set up - will they be able to read, edit or add additional tasks
from the Mobile App.

I think it’s relatively clear, @anon20549472 .

Any project (and task within that project) that has been, or will be, created via the old or new Template will be treated like any other project. It will be readable and editable via the mobile app.

It’s the new Template itself that isn’t currently accessible (readable or editable).

Keep in mind that a Template is different than a Project.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying. Yes, I do know the difference between a Template and
a Project. But the way this Mobile App communication came out from Asana
it did not specify TEMPLATE.

I’m curious if any one else has noticed or had issues with the following since V2 was introduced…

• the projects created from templates seem to load slower than they did previously. a project that used to take 1 minute to load now takes close to 5 mins. (Have already tried moving the old templates into the new version, trying different web browsers, clearing cache, using the Asana desktop app)

• when we click on the + symbol on the Team level to add a project using a template, it now defaults to show a view of templates built under the given team itself. This proves to be a little more finicky now for my company’s use of templates. My company prefers the view that defaults to our company’s custom templates. Our Teams are divided by regions (ie. Japan, Australia, Iceland, etc) and the templates that we have created are meant to offer a basic workflow for any regional Team to use. I’m aware that there is a drop-down menu where we can access the other template use cases, but currently, unless the templates are created under each regional Team (cumbersome and problematic for version control in our case) then there are now a couple more additional steps for us to take to create a project from a template than there were before. Not to mention it being a more circuitous process.

4 Likes

@Di_Francis definitely agree on your second point. It took me a while to be able to find the new Templates, and I’m still working on getting them all moved to the correct teams. But really I’d like to be able to just access all our custom Templates from any Team.

Also, anyone else notice that the Member Notification Settings default to all being checked? It’s overriding my personal setting, which is not to be notified when Tasks are added to a project. I believe the previous Templates would use your personal setting here. Small but annoying point.

2 Likes

Hi @Bastien_Siebman ,

How do you define project membership in the V2 templates? I only can set Team privacy on the template and give access to certain persons but I don’t see where I can add other members so that they are automatically added as a member when I create the project :thinking:

Or do I miss something?

Hi @Thomas_D,

Click here:

2 Likes

That’s concerning indeed because incoherent with the way a project works, where a box checked will be overridden by your personal settings.

1 Like
  1. No icon indicator that a task has subtasks.
5 Likes

Thanks @Aaron_Paul , added it, that’s a big one :sweat_smile:

One of my biggest pet peeves is software companies who create new versions but take away features. I think this conduct is both shameful and unconscionable. I don’t like the tradeoffs. Too much lost for what is gained. From what I am seeing, I don’t want version 2. Please don’t force me to take it!

4 Likes

Adding to the list:

• Can’t use task templates or even duplicate tasks as a workaround.

• Can’t select multiple tasks or subtasks (to change due dates/assignee, drag/drop, etc.)

1 Like

Can you clarify what you mean?
Multi-select was already in the list :+1:

Great list! Thank you!
For us is a big problem that people without “can edit” permission can’t just look through template. Our team need to to it just to check actual scheme of work. We need to create project on the base of this template every time that needs too much time.

1 Like

Sorry, Bastien! I didn’t make it through all the comments so I obviously missed that you’d already noted that multi-select is missing in V2.

As for my other note: in V2, it’s impossible to duplicate tasks. It also offers the option to create task templates in the customize section on the right… but then no way to actually use the task templates within the project template! :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes